Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help ASAP!!!!! Oil plug F***ed up the coil in the pan!!! Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Please Help ASAP!!!!! Oil plug F***ed up the coil in the pan!!! Please!!!!

I was changing the oil on my car and when i pulled drain plug out I notices the steel coil was working itself out and my drain plug had the first two threads stripped. Once the oil drain drained out I tried to put the plug back in but all it did was just spin and pull the coil out. I took the plug out again and I just said **** the stupid coil, which was mangled at this point, and I just pulled that piece of **** out. But only half of the coil came out so If look into the hole, half the coil is still in the pan. My car now sits on jack stands with no plug and it is is my DD!!! I am do frustrated right now!!!! I went to the auto parts store to get a rubber plug and the first one 5/8 was to big and the second one 1/2 is too small!!!! I can't have anything go right!!! I need this car running. I have a few questions for you guys, please oh please, help me before I shoot my self!!! I need a solution to be able to drive it for 30 miles to the shop that works on my car.
1. What size rubber plug do I need?
2. Should I try a larger bolt that is the same size as the drain plug only longer to reach whats left of the coil and put that in? If so what exact size is the oil drain plug bolt?
3. About how much is a brand new oil pan For my 98 Camaro?
4. Can this pan be retapped with a new coil?
5. Other than the pan what else is needed to put the new pan in? Is putting a new pan in hard to do? If I can put the pan in myself it would cancel out finding a solution for the messed up hole right now.
6. What kind of gun should I kill myself with?

If this is in the wrong section, mods feel free to move it!

Last edited by Blk98ls1; 01-08-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JB Weld the SOB in to get it to the shop and have a new pan installed?????? Probably can get a used pan from somebody on here.

Just something that flew off the top of my head...

Don't freak out, you can rent a car to get you by a few days.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get a die and rethread the pan. As for the plug, just get a new one at the parts store.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Unertl42
Just get a die and rethread the pan. As for the plug, just get a new one at the parts store.
Sounds like the pans threads are fubared to me (not fixable by a tap). I've never paid attention, but is it just a tapped UNF hole from the factory? If there was a "coil" in there maybe it's possible somebody helicoiled it in the past?

Weird.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can I rethread the pan while it is still on the car???? Also I would much rather have the shop rethread it Any ideas on plugging that **** up to take it to the shop that wont affect the rethreading???
Old 01-08-2009, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

i like the jb weld idea. I did that to my atv and it hasnt come out yet. Its been in there for about 2 years now.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

There are self tapping drain plugs that are sold at auto parts stores. The drain plug stripped out in my wifes old car. I just screwed in the self tapping bolt (while the pan was still on the car), and all was good.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not get someone with a truck/trailer and tow it to the shop? (Wrecker)
Old 01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prolly have to tap it and put a heli-coil in there for the plug to work again
Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 94 pan stripped and I JB welded it temporarily, and that was a thin, stamped pan. The LS1 Pans are thicker, cast pans. About $150-200 used on here and eBay.

If you can't tow it to the shop, I'd get a either:
1. a helicoil repair kit. This will be The best method, if the hole isn't too big for the helicoil (Im not sure how damaged the hole in the pan is). This will also allow the use of a stock drain plug/bolt

2. Get a bigger diameter bolt and tap it for that size.

I wouldn't risk driving 30 miles with a rubber plug in place. If that thing comes out and your engine loses all its oil while driving, well, bye bye LS1.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not a steel coil. Those are the aluminum threads.

And you use a tap to thread a hole, not a die.