Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette manifolds as good as LT's????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vette manifolds as good as LT's????

has any one else seen this car craft is claiming that the vette cast manifolds are just as good as LT in variouse primary sizes. what do you guys think?

see link
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...est/index.html
Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i take everything car craft says with a grain of salt.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by adam1803
i take everything car craft says with a grain of salt.
LOL

Sorry but Carcraft=bullshit

That has to be the stupidest thing that I have every heard of. I bet somebody will probally pick a set up just to see that gains. Probally will think there are hot **** also. HAHA
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Z06 manifolds are better than stock ls1, but def not better than longtubes.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of pure curiosity, are the vette manifolds workable on an f-body? It looks like they would only fit in a swap car with more space.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats dumb... They are a lil better... but as said no LT.

Arc- im about 95% sure they will.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Resident

By that logic, Corvettes wouldn't gain any horsepower with longtubes. However, they gain 20-30rwhp just like F-body's. Those headers they use in that article are built like complete crap, and I'd be willing to say that article is complete crap. Even if Corvette manifolds flowed the same as longtube headers, it wouldn't matter because most of the gains in longtubes are by increasing scavenging, NOT by increasing flow. Corvette manifolds can't physically scavenge like a longtube header.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Default LT's

car craft normally has some pretty good articles but i must agree with posts above the vette manifolds are practically the same is our stock ones so just buy LT's and call it a day
Old 01-17-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did everybody actually read this story. why is it so hard to believe.these are newer vette manifolds, they did not state they were the best just that they flow well.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jam01
did everybody actually read this story. why is it so hard to believe.these are newer vette manifolds, they did not state they were the best just that they flow well.
lol what does it matter? the FACTS are that NO shorty header/manifold will out flow or out scavenge a Longtube header....period...its just impossible.....thats why its so hard to believe
Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

They may flow as well or better than a shorty style header but no way would they compare to LT's in a Vette/WS6/Firehawk or SS.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

From the pictures they didn't test a set of C6 Z06 manifolds. They are better than the regular Vette manifolds. They are not as good as a good set of long tubes, but are surprisingly good for OEM. We installed a set of LG pros (1 3/4" primaries) on an 07 Z06 and only gained 2 rwhp at peak, and 14 ft lbs in the mid range compared to the stock manifolds. We installed a set of American Racing headers on another Z (mine) and only gained 4 peak rwhp and 12 ft lbs in the mid range. If you can pick up a set of Z manifolds and 3" midpipes cheap, do it, you'll be surprised how well they work.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the C6Z manifolds but the C5Zs definitely pick up decent power with LT's. Most results I see are around 20RWHP. I'm surprised to see that C6Z manifolds are that good.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by good2go
From the pictures they didn't test a set of C6 Z06 manifolds. They are better than the regular Vette manifolds. They are not as good as a good set of long tubes, but are surprisingly good for OEM. We installed a set of LG pros (1 3/4" primaries) on an 07 Z06 and only gained 2 rwhp at peak, and 14 ft lbs in the mid range compared to the stock manifolds. We installed a set of American Racing headers on another Z (mine) and only gained 4 peak rwhp and 12 ft lbs in the mid range. If you can pick up a set of Z manifolds and 3" midpipes cheap, do it, you'll be surprised how well they work.
Weird.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, I just looked closely at the pictures. The way they assembled the exhaust with the vette manifold make the first change in cross-section about 30 inches from where the "collector" starts, so the engine would react like that is the end of the header secondary. In that case, that header is probably very close in its ability to scavenge as the long tubes, despite not having a good collector design. If you look at the f-body manifold, they bent the pipe right off the end of the flange, so you wouldn't see this result. I think if they bent the pipe in a way that would appear on an actual car, this would be a different result.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by good2go
I use a set of the Zo6 manifolds on my streetrod with a straight out set of pipes and Dynomax mufflers and I am amazed how well they work. Stop, and think....How many of you guys install headers without also upgrading the pipes and mufflers. This could be a big part of the increase your seeing, that you are attributing to the headers. Not saying they would be what you would want on a larger or more modified engine. Besides, what possible motive could Car Craft have in giving bogus numbers from tests run on Ken Duttweiler's dyno, when they derive a lot of their ad income from header manufacturer's. THINK ABOUT IT!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Besides, what possible motive could Car Craft have in giving bogus numbers from tests run on Ken Duttweiler's dyno, when they derive a lot of their ad income from header manufacturer's. THINK ABOUT IT!---------------- so what are you saying with this comment, car craft is printing lies.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jam01
Besides, what possible motive could Car Craft have in giving bogus numbers from tests run on Ken Duttweiler's dyno, when they derive a lot of their ad income from header manufacturer's. THINK ABOUT IT!---------------- so what are you saying with this comment, car craft is printing lies.
If you are referring to my comments in the post above, I think you need to re-read it. You seem to have read it ***-backwards!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

well ill be the guinne pig if anybody has a set of c6 zo6 manifolds theyd want to sell for cheap ill try them on my ss and see what results i get if anybody has some pm me!

will they even work didnt think about the "D" shaped port

Last edited by SS02G; 01-20-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS02G
well ill be the guinne pig if anybody has a set of c6 zo6 manifolds theyd want to sell for cheap ill try them on my ss and see what results i get if anybody has some pm me!

will they even work didnt think about the "D" shaped port
I don't have a set of the Z06's because I used them on my street rod, only because they cleared some obstacles better than the others. I do have a set of the ones shown in the original article in Car Craft, in Jan. '05. They are in the "for sale" section for $100.00 shipped. I'll post a pic here, but if you want to see what the Z06 and the GTO or 'vette or whatever they are that were used in the dyno tests all look like, go to this thread by *clm69z28 *. It's titled * Exhaust Manifolds Options - LS1/68-72 A Body. There are some good pics of the Z06's and also complete pics of the type used in the dyno tests in one of my posts in that thread. As far as the "d" shaped port, I have L92 heads, which have the "d" port. and I used factory type gaskets. These fit both the heads and the manifolds really well. I first intended to just sandblast them and hi-temp paint 'em and run 'em that way, but my coupe has such a confined engine compartment, with AC lines and wires and brake lines so close, I put the heat shields back on, and I love 'em. I can run it and they make so much difference in the heat emitted, it's unbelievable! You can shut it down and in just a short timeyou can actually touch the shields. They are not that conspicuous either in my case since my coupe has side panels that kind of hide them. Have no idea if either set would work in your car, but they will fit in a lot of swap situations. Don't leak like headers do either. Check 'em out! Ron
Attached Thumbnails Vette manifolds as good as LT's????-parts-sale-001.jpg   Vette manifolds as good as LT's????-parts-sale-005.jpg   Vette manifolds as good as LT's????-parts-sale-009.jpg