Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my car starting to over heat?!?!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why is my car starting to over heat?!?!??

My friend and me put GTP S2 heads w/10.9.1 Compression not too long ago and for some reason the car starts to over heat after about 5 minutes of driving now? I was able to drive the car for a lot longer without it over heating but now its getting worse? So I changed my radiator cap and also got a hypertech 160 thermostat cause I thought my stock one was done. So I follow the instructions 50/50 dexicool and water. Let the car idle for 1 minute with the surge cap off. Then put the cap back on and cycle the engine at 3000rpms for 30 seconds a few times till its at 210 degrees. Then repeat again,
So after that I figured my problems were solved
nope!

After a few minutes of driving I notice the temp is right at 210 maybe 215 so I shut it off. And a few seconds later I hear all this boiling going on and it starts to over flow out the surge tank? Did I do something wrong or could it be the water pump, radiator, blown head gasket, or air pockets maybe? Someone help me out here, I am thinking the next thing to do is get the hammer out and go crazy on the car

also havent had a chance to tune the car yet so I have completly stock tuning.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Why is my car starting to over heat?!?!??

According to my new water temp gauge, mine get to in upwards of 245 degrees on a hot day in traffic, I was told this is normal, plus I don't really care anyways. Make sure the fans are turning on at the appropriate times, could have a burnt fuse. Did you bleed your coolant system when refilling it? Did you put too much in?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, you've eliminated the thermostat.

Is it losing water? Does it get low?

When I fill one, I like to do it with the throttle body coolant tube undone until it flows out there. Then I replace it while it is still flowing out. This helps to get rid of air pockets.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cooling fans on those cars dont even come on until 226 deg, the boiling over is prolly just air in the system,
Old 10-06-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know I dont really hear the fans come on? But its hard to hear anything with no cats and no muffler.

How do you bleed the coolant system?

All I did was un-do the radiator drain plug and when it drained all the way out I replaced the tstat and followed the direction. When it starts to get hot the coolant starts coming out of the surge tank? How do I get rid of air pockets?

My friend said to take the radiator cap off and let it idle for a while, well I did that and after 2 minutes coolant starting shooting out all over?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Did you by accident switch the two little hoses on the nect of the filler. I had this happen doing a radiator swap. Never hurts to check. Catch can on top TB on bottom.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I have no brain!!! I had the TB on top and the catch can on bottom!!! lol
So I switched them and put more coolant/water 50/50 started the car with the cap off and this time I left it off for about 4 minutes and the coolant was staring to come out of the radiator? Was this because I let the car run too long without the cap on or is this not supposed to happen?

Thanks guys!!! Also I did the TB Bypass a long time ago, that wouldn’t have anything to do with this right?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

If you leave the cap off, when your thermostat opens at the specified temperature, you are going to get fluid coming out of the radiator.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured that would happen if I just leave the cap off for a while. I am gonna take the car for a spin a little later and see if its fine.

Looks like everythings ok now.

Thanks