Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter LT install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter LT install tips?

ordering some ceramic LTs tonight, wanted to know what else i should order with them to make the installation go smooth, im putting some new MSD wires on while im in there, also what Y pipe do you guys reccomend to use with cats? From what ive been reading theres no grinding or loosening of the motor mount required to install these?

thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

do yourself a favor and put in poly motor mount bushings.

it will control block movement and prevent clearance issues with the frame.

should only cost $60 or so, and is a piece of cake to do with the manifolds out of the way.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teke184
do yourself a favor and put in poly motor mount bushings.

it will control block movement and prevent clearance issues with the frame.

should only cost $60 or so, and is a piece of cake to do with the manifolds out of the way.
Piece of cake relative to when manifolds are on, but its still a PITA.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueStreak362
ordering some ceramic LTs tonight, wanted to know what else i should order with them to make the installation go smooth, im putting some new MSD wires on while im in there, also what Y pipe do you guys reccomend to use with cats? From what ive been reading theres no grinding or loosening of the motor mount required to install these?

thanks
Might as well put in some new spark plugs. Also you will need either some O2 extensions or just get the bosch 13111's. Motor mounts are not a bad idea but I've heard its a PITA!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with changing to the poly MM's
Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes u should change to poly motor mounts, but no way in hell are they easy even with manifolds off. Mine were a bitch when they were done... wasted a lot of time.

I would get a new GM manifold gasket along with new plugs/wires. I reused my old bolts.

As for fitment, they should fit in without u having to remove anything but the dip stick tube.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Launching!

poly MM inserts are a PITA but there worth it in the end. if you order one the ones of rpmspeed.com they come with all the hardware and you just have to do some drilling of your own and putting them in...ya
Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Launching!

when i put my Pacesetters in, i was on the drivers side. i had to use a ball peen hammer on a little portion of the floorboard (can't notice it really) just go get the collector by. when i pushed it up, i apparently cracked the rear spark plug, and didn't find out until a week or two later, when i had what i thought was an exhaust leak fixed and it still shook the car at idle.

so if you put them in with the plugs in, make sure you aren't a jackass like me and crack the plug.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Launching!

well i have new plugs in it already, i was just thinking about doing some fresh wires, I think i am going to install MM's too while im in there.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would use OEM wires if they are cheaper than MSD. No real gain from using MSD except the pretty color I did my headers from the top by jacking the engine up off the cross member and removing the steering shaft.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only had to remove the dip stick tube and the steering shaft. makes it easy to get it all in. dont both pulling the coils off like some people say.

and yes the poly mount can be tricky but its worth it. the first time you hear your y-pipe hit the floor it wont be pleasing.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I had to grind a little on the driver side.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

As said, you should go ahead and change out the motor mounts while you are there. And IMO they really aren't all that bad. A friend of mine (who is a Mopar/Ford guy no less) and I had mine done within an hour or so, and that was with my headers in the way. The higher up you can get the car, the better
Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
I would use OEM wires if they are cheaper than MSD. No real gain from using MSD except the pretty color I did my headers from the top by jacking the engine up off the cross member and removing the steering shaft.
If I recall correctly, one of the advantages to the MSD wires is that the boot can be rotated which is needed on some headers that create contact between the header and wire.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by noriceinside
i only had to remove the dip stick tube and the steering shaft. makes it easy to get it all in. dont both pulling the coils off like some people say.

and yes the poly mount can be tricky but its worth it. the first time you hear your y-pipe hit the floor it wont be pleasing.
I agree with this guy. dip stick, spark plug wires and steering shaft all all that need to be removed. to get the headers in easily. Do poly motor mounts its much better to do them now with the headers out then down the road when your y-pipe is banging. No need for msd wires unless you just wanna spend money. The pacesetters come with extensions but you have to cut wires and splice so i would just get some plug in ones that way you don't have to cut any wires. Lastly you should either reused your stock gaskets and bolts or buy need gm ones don't use the pacesetter ones.