Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Install Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 03:39 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default QTP Install Tips?

Will be installing my new QTP long tubes soon, and was just wondering if they go in easier from the top or the bottom. Any other tips for this install welcome also!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: QTP Install Tips?

Bottom. A lift is the best way, but its doable on jack stands - just get the car up HIGH. Passenger side is fairly simple - nothing needs removed. Drivers side is a little tight. I got mine by removing the oil filter, oil drain plug, and dropping the tranny crossmember to allow side to side play.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:04 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

So I don't even need to remove the starter motor or the plugs? I'll be doing the install tomorrow, to honor Columbus!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Remove plugs for sure. Starter only if needed but if you do it would make life easier.

And also disconnect battery for sure.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:15 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Well I just got the QTP's on; thanks for the help! It was easier than expected thanks to the heads up info on this board. I cut off the aluminum block on the drivers side with a die grinder, removed the oil filter, drain plug, spark plugs, and battery cable. The QTP's went right in with no problems! These are nice headers! Did it on my own home-made, extra tall ramps with jack stands under the rear. I didn't have to mess with the steering shaft, cross member or starter. By re-routing the wires in the loom, I got all the length I needed to reconnect the front O2s; plan to use sims for the rear ones. I will say I was glad to have my air ratchet wrench for the exhaust manifold bolts; those things were tight all the way out.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice work man. the info on this board is invaluable. Get the sims soon before u start throwing SES all over and ur car will run like crap.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Thanks! While the headers went in much easier than expected, the Y-tube has turned out to be a major PITA! The QTPs hug the floor pan so close that the Y is almost touching in one point on the driver's side, and I know it's going to bang like hell. Rather than bending the Y lower and losing ground clearance, I'm modifying the floor pan!

So I haven't even fired it up yet, but I plan to build my own O2 sims, so I might just plug the rear O2s in and let them hang in the air until then so the PCM doesn't freak out.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

i slipped mine in no problems whatsoever. no joke the drivers side went in in like 2 minutes. i just stood it straight up and rotated it in. removing nothing but the plugs and then the passenger side in like 5 minutes. car was only up about 2 feet in front and back on rhino ramps.

i do have some ground clearence issues though with the dual cut-out y-pipe and am getting those taken care of tomarrow. plus i will be raising the front of the car up alittle bit for some added clearence.

i ran my car with no rear o2's for a few days until i could remove them with edit.