Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any advantages to a 2 to 1 to 2 pipe exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Are there any advantages to a 2 to 1 to 2 pipe exhaust?

Are there any advantages to merging your two exhaust pipes from the manifolds into one pipe, and then splitting them back up again to two tailpipes? I know this is how the F-bodies work.

Does it make your exhaust quieter, or give it a different sound? Or more power?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quieter, less power in terms of the I pipe, more power in terms that it opens back up into 2 for the tail pipes,

biggest advantage is fitment
i think its cheaper in some instances
(like that quick reply dont ya )
Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

its all about fitment and cost....

at stock power levels that power gain/loss is nominal.

"more power in terms that it opens back up into 2 for the tail pipes,"

yeah...cause we all know the type of tail pipe determines your power gain
Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol
Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by teke184
yeah...cause we all know the type of tail pipe determines your power gain
it allows for better flowing mufflers and more exhaust flow idiot, that's why people put catbacks on their car, otherwise wed just keep our stop catbacks... 2 3" pipes > 1... its not ganna make or break the car, but its worth some HP

to the OP- 2 pipes look better than 1 from behind as well
Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

haha...i think you're a little confused brother.

"it allows for better flowing mufflers and more exhaust flow idiot, that's why people put catbacks on their car, otherwise wed just keep our stop catbacks... 2 3" pipes > 1... its not ganna make or break the car, but its worth some HP"

i wasn't talking about the catback....i was talking about the tailpipes...the part after the muffler.

you said "more power in terms that it opens back up into 2 for the tail pipes"

who cares what the tail pipes are (within reason...obviously), whether there are 2 or 1.

a 3" single pipe from the ypipe back over the axle into a single 3" straight thru muffler with a single exit......is gonna probably make more power than the typical single 3" in, dual 2.5" out muffler common on fbodies.

the "opening up into 2 pipes" isn't gonna make the difference, its the type of muffler.

personally...i'd just do true duals
Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True duals, not dual tips.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Straight from sticky:
Hey guys I just got done reading a good article in the May 2005 issue of Popular Hot Rodding Magazine. The article was written by David Vizard who seems to be one of the most accredited and respected people in the automotive performance world. In the article he stated that CFM is a great way to help develop a zero loss exhaust system. For zero loss a exhaust must flow 2.2 CFM per horsepower(This means less than 1% of total power produced by the engine is lost due to back pressure.). From reading the article I think that a lot of people that see gains when going from a 2.5” exhaust system to a 3” dual system see them because the muffler on the 2.5” system didn’t flow enough for their application. David stated that per square inch of exhaust tubing there is 115 CFM of flow. So plugging some numbers into the good ole TI-89….. ((3.14 * radius^2)*115[*2 for a dual exhaust system])/2.2 = Max hp supported with zero loss

A 2.75” (stock) single system is good for a 310hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” Single system is good for a 370hp engine with zero loss…
A 3.5” Single system is good for a 503hp engine with zero loss…
A 4” Single system is good for a 657hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.25” dual system is good for a 457hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.5” dual system is good for a 513hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” dual system is good for a 812hp engine with zero loss…

Now these numbers are assuming that everything else is set up perfectly. The muffler must flow as much as the open pipe or more to get zero loss at the listed hp levels. He also states that using a muffler with a larger inlet/outlet diameter than your exhaust pipe is a great way to get more out of a smaller diameter system since the muffler flow will be able to match the straight pipe flow. Now there are many other things to consider when designing an exhaust system but I figured this would give a great foundation to build on.

My own additions:
More backpressure as compared to a bigger diameter setup or tru-duals. This could be helpful with lower horsepower apps or also for a quieter/stock sounding system.

Lastly, they give cutouts a purpose because honestly, there really is not point of cutouts on a tru-dual exhaust system as long as the piping is big enough, the mufflers flow well enough and the bends are clean enough for your application. I guess sound but come on, tru-duals are loud.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd like to know how they were able to say "good for 503hp". how so accurate? did they use some kind of equation or something?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FastKat
Are there any advantages to merging your two exhaust pipes from the manifolds into one pipe, and then splitting them back up again to two tailpipes? I know this is how the F-bodies work.

Does it make your exhaust quieter, or give it a different sound? Or more power?
I would say. in a nut shell yes but, compared to what? now this setup up in it's own right does have advantages. with that said, there are better setups... so why are you asking about this particular setup?