Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Borla warranty issues

I'm getting jerked around with a warranty claim so I'm making good on my promise.

I am writing you as a Borla customer. I own a 1998 Camaro z28 with the LS1 engine and 6 speed transmission. I am the original owner of the car, having ordered it directly from the factory so that I would have the specific feature I wanted. As an avid car guy having owned a 1967 Chevelle and a 1966 GTO, I had read many automotive publications with both advertisements and reviews of your products. Shortly after purchasing my Camaro, I decided to upgrade the exhaust system. I decided upon the Borla Stainless Steel 3in adjustable Cat-back system. I felt that the Borla system provided a combination of excellent sound, easy tuneability, superior construction and quality material. Additionally, the "million mile warranty" gave me peace of mind that I was purchasing a quality piece.
I ordered my Borla system through one of your authorized dealers, a speed shop in Addison, IL. called Street Stuff. I also had Street Stuff install the system on my car. The performance and sound quality of the installed product satisfied my expectations and has performed flawlessly...up until recently.
I have recently contacted you customer service department in regards to the flanges used to secure the tuning plates on my system. Although the stainless steel piping has withstood the rigors of 11 years on the road, unfortunately, these flanges have not. It appears to me that a different steel was used to form these flanges, resulting in rust and corrosion so significant that I am no longer able to adjust my system. I spoke with a customer service representative in order to make a warranty claim but was dismissed in a rather rude manner as I was unable to produce my warranty card. I explained to the representative that I had moved twice since the purchase of my exhaust system. He continued to refuse helping me with my claim, suggesting that I could contact the store from which I purchased it. Upon contacting Street Stuff, I was informed that the company had been sold twice since the purchase of my system and that they didn't have the sales records on hand.
Needless to say, I am greatly disappointed with the dismissal of my warranty claim as I am the original owner of my car, I purchased the Borla system new from an authorized dealer, had the system installed by said dealer and further, the car is well under the "million mile" mileage limit for the your product. I am writing you this letter in hopes that my case will not fall on deaf ears and that my product warranty will be honored. Further, I am a member quite a few online automotive forums including LS1tech.com, Z28camaro.com and chitownracing.com. I will be posting the body of this message on these various sites as well as sending a copy of this letter to Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines with whom you advertise. My hope is to post your response to my letter, honoring my warranty claim. Additionally, I am in the market for a Cat-back exhaust system for my 2005 Chevrolet Suburban and my decision as to which product to go with will be greatly influenced by the customer service I receive. Thank you for your time,
Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dunno what to tell you man. For couple bucks you can get new flanges welded on. Yes i know it is the principle.

BTW Street Stuff SUCKS!!!!

Good Luck though
Old 03-08-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn... i've always been a fan of Borla quality. When I worked for RKSport we got to talk to their techs that would come in from time to time and they seemed like really nice guys to deal with. These days, it is really hard to find a company that'll back up their warranty claims though... these days, warranties don't mean squat anymore... seriously...
Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Launching!

that does suck, and it isn't right that they were rude. But its pretty much standard...no paperwork...no warranty. You can't blame them on that
Old 03-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Launching!

^^^there is always paperwork! That is bs! Make sure u follow through with this or they will laugh in our faces saying the got another one!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

paperwork or not they advertise million mile warranty I dont think anyone can hit that mileage so this pretty much means they have to warranty everything!
Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do they advertize it as all stainless steel construction? You can see where I am going with this.

I had one on my car when I bought it and you are right. The flanges are NOT stainless where the plate goes. I broke off all the bolts to the flange and had to carry it in to work with me and drill the pos out. Rust was so bad it looked like a piece from the titanic.

The fasteners were not stainless either. Neither were those hangers that go into the bumper support studs.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

GOOD NEWS!!! Borla made good on their warranty. I received the replacement parts via FedEx ground today. Just goes to show that persistance pays off. Upon receipt of my original letter, I was contacted by David Borla. David worked with me to see if there was any other way to corroborate my purchase, including researching my bank records. Needless to say, I am very happy with the outcome of this event. The follow through displayed by David has reaffirmed my purchase of Borla equipment.

Quick Reply: Borla warranty issues