Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer Temperature Gauge Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autometer Temperature Gauge Accuracy

I recently bought an autometer temp gauge to put in my a-pillar because i know my 02 z has the stock dummy gauge. So i bought this gauge to have an accurate temp reading but the sender does not stick out of the end of the adapter (pt #2277). This would make the sender read a false low correct? After i drilled out the crappy adapter for the sender to fit, and installed it, the gauge reads about 179 degrees and that's with a stock thermostat. I have a tune and I know my fans come on earlier than stock, but with the stock thermostat being rated at 180 (correct?) i think the gauge is reading low. Any thoughts?

Oh and for searching purposes, i want to add that for hooking up a narrow band a/f gauge, the bosch o2 sensors have a black wire instead of the purple wire for the signal wire. Just to clear up any confusion because there is nothing on tech about a bosch signal wire, only stock senor wires.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

If you read into it Autometers recommended LS1 COOLANT temp sender and adapter is always called a cylinder head temp sender. I can see why because like you said, it doesn't extend into the coolant. It has MAYBE a 3/16" hole exposed to coolant.

The stock thermostat is stamped with 86* celsius, which is 186.8* F

My autometer water temp gauge with the recommended LS1 cylinder head adapter fitting reads roughly 15-20 degrees lower than what hp tuners scanner reads.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-18-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay so i was right then, the gauge does/would read low. Mine sits right at 180 and with a 187 degree thermostat and my fans set to come on early i guessed my actual temp would be about 195. Also the autometer takes longer to get to 180 than the stock one does to get to 195. With my stock guage sitting at about 195, does that mean it is actually more accurate? If that's the case then im pissed b/c i coulda got a different gauge that i actually needed.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am interested in others thoughts on this. i have an autometer gauge as well that reads 180-190* depending on whats running and if i am on the highway vs traffic. it would be nice to know if it is accuate or not... i have a lower stat with lower fan temps, i dont have hptuners to read it though. but if hp tuners uses the stock sensor it looks like the same style as the auto meter. isnt the stock sensor on the cyl head as well??? sorry for my novel.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Is it possible to use the stock sender with the Electric Autometer guage? I'm stuck in this also.... subscribing.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
... the autometer takes longer to get to 180 than the stock one does to get to 195...

Thats because the 99-02 F bodies stock temperature gauge always reads 210 degrees for the actual temperature range of 180-226 degrees.
And more than likely its not a linear scale getting up to the 210 reading either.
The autometer should take longer, its not run off a dummy serial port signal from the PCM.

Another way to look at it is:
You put on an after market temp gauge because you knew the stock one wasn't any count - why would you then expect it to work just like the stock one????

hmmmm.....

lol

Last edited by Weezzer; 03-13-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

watching the autometer warm up it is more gradual and probably shows a more accurate warm up but is the end temp its showing accurate? when i look at the stocker it shows 100 one minute then 210 the next, that doesnt seems right.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nabdrill
Is it possible to use the stock sender with the Electric Autometer guage? I'm stuck in this also.... subscribing.
I was wondering the same thing but it doesn;t look like anyone does that. I think the autometer gauge might be calibrated to run off different input voltages, just my thinking...
Originally Posted by Weezzer
Thats because the 99-02 F bodies stock temperature gauge always reads 210 degrees for the actual temperature range of 180-226 degrees.
And more than likely its not a linear scale getting up to the 210 reading either.
The autometer should take longer, its not run off a dummy serial port signal from the PCM.

Another way to look at it is:
You put on an after market temp gauge because you knew the stock one wasn't any count - why would you then expect it to work just like the stock one????

hmmmm.....

lol
Lol yeah after thinking about it the autometer does seem to warm up more accurately but the stock gauge seems to hold at a more accurate temp, or it would appear so. They stock gauge is just getting lucky i guess lol.

So i guess i should just pretend that the autometer is calibrated to be about 15 degrees cooler than actual temp. Next time i get the car on the dyno ill have to verify it with software.

When looking at both sensors though the stock one looks like it would read temp better, but you are saying the pcm fumbles and spits out bad signals?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Question:
What if you put the temp sensor in the radiator hose close to outlet of the waterpump? That should give accurate temp readings shouldn't it? That would make things alot simpler.

Quick Reply: Autometer Temperature Gauge Accuracy