Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasspack

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Glasspack

What kind of sound is that? ive heard the term used alot and someone asked me what it would sound like on my car, anyone have any sounds clips or anything?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is Glasspack? is it something that is put in the muffler?

http://www.ls1sounds.com is a great place for sounds clips of various exhaust configurations.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just drive until you hear banjo music, then youll find lots of vehicles with glasspacks. out in the backwoods they put them on everything, cars, lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc...
Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sroach20
just drive until you hear banjo music, then youll find lots of vehicles with glasspacks. out in the backwoods they put them on everything, cars, lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc...
Dont think that was the answer he was looking for but you might want to check it out eitherway.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DONT DO IT!!!!!

LS1s sound like Harley's when they ahve glass packs on them, i made that mistake once!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

a glasspack is a bullet style muffler.....here's some clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guFy2Nb9MxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CATYjAZ7pqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59xRdjOotk
Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

you seriously want to put a glass pack on your car?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
While glasspacks are a bullet style muffler, they differ greatly from a straight through bullet muffler. They sound different, and flow much less then a straight through muffler. Do you have dynomax bullets on the car, or a glasspack?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i have an unknown muffler on mine, i like the sound and just heard some normal people talking about it. Thought about doing dynomax mufflers, had em on my cobra and it sounded wicked.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sroach20
^^
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
While glasspacks are a bullet style muffler, they differ greatly from a straight through bullet muffler. They sound different, and flow much less then a straight through muffler. Do you have dynomax bullets on the car, or a glasspack?
a bullet is a glasspack, back in the day they were called woody woodpeckers or whatever, guess what?? they are exactly the same design as ours now. no difference. yes they also have glasspack full-size mufflers but those are referred to as turbo mufflers and yes the flow is terrible.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a bullet is a glasspack, back in the day they were called woody woodpeckers or whatever, guess what?? they are exactly the same design as ours now. no difference. yes they also have glasspack full-size mufflers but those are referred to as turbo mufflers and yes the flow is terrible.
Thats completely incorrect. A glasspack muffler has louvers and are no where near a straighthrough muffler, a bullet it a straight through perforated tube muffler. Have u ever had a straight through bullet, a full size straight through muffler, and a glasspack side by side. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Launching!

What exhaust setup are you running? It sounds NICE.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
Thats completely incorrect. A glasspack muffler has louvers and are no where near a straighthrough muffler, a bullet it a straight through perforated tube muffler. Have u ever had a straight through bullet, a full size straight through muffler, and a glasspack side by side. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
actually its funny you mention that bc im a welder and i have fabricated several true dual systems with bullets. mine are dynomax bullets of the perforated design and a buddies i just built was the summit brand with the louvered design. they are virtually identical in structure except the inner tube and as straight through as the louvereds are i see no flow difference between the two. yes the louvers are slightly in the way of air flow but not much, its still basically straight through. typically glasspack fullsize mufflers have an intrance tube and an exit tube both of which are perforated with fiberglass packing between the two which the exhaust gas is forced to flow through. this design doesnt flow well but yeilds a very deep tone that lots of people like. <<--lots of people know these as turbo mufflers.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
What exhaust setup are you running? It sounds NICE.
dynomax bullets that have the 18 inch center section, 3 inch in/out, on a true dual system i built using the summit universal X pipe kit and its dumped before the rear end.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

sounds good
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

actually its funny you mention that bc im a welder and i have fabricated several true dual systems with bullets. mine are dynomax bullets of the perforated design and a buddies i just built was the summit brand with the louvered design. they are virtually identical in structure except the inner tube and as straight through as the louvereds are i see no flow difference between the two. yes the louvers are slightly in the way of air flow but not much, its still basically straight through. typically glasspack fullsize mufflers have an intrance tube and an exit tube both of which are perforated with fiberglass packing between the two which the exhaust gas is forced to flow through. this design doesnt flow well but yeilds a very deep tone that lots of people like. <<--lots of people know these as turbo mufflers.
Louvered mufflers especially ones that neck down on the inside obstruct flow, whether u can see any flow difference or not. Its hard to have any technical talk about this cause of all the different styles of glasspack mufflers. Moreso, in the flowtest info i have found the traditional dynomax bullet style muffler flows much more then a baffled or louvered bullet muffler. Look at the spiral flows, they sound amazing.....are almost a straight through muffler and people have seen pretty large hp losses using them. Go figure.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive had bullets, glasspacks, and now sweet thunders. You might see a whopping 1 rwhp between the bunch of em so its all sound man. I like the thunders personally

Quick Reply: Glasspack