Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catylitic converter glowing RED HOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catylitic converter glowing RED HOT

Both of them, see sig.

I drove 2 hrs on the hwy on cruise control at 72mph. No romping or racing, just normal easy driving. I got to my cousins house, got out of the car (at night) and saw the red glow from under the car. I looked at it and it was glowing.

WTF!
Old 10-29-2003, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are most likely clogged. i'd get them off ASAP

JR
Old 10-29-2003, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Holy crap. Someone told me they me clogged from all the extra oil I've been burning due to my rings being toast. The motor is coming apart in 12 days for a re-ringing, I'll have them changed then.

Can driving it hurt my motor? What can happen if I drive it?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
Holy crap. Someone told me they me clogged from all the extra oil I've been burning due to my rings being toast. The motor is coming apart in 12 days for a re-ringing, I'll have them changed then.

Can driving it hurt my motor? What can happen if I drive it?
Yeah, I think I was the one that mentioned that to you awhile back..... definately sounds like they're screwed up as I thought they may be, plus I think your Ed Wright tune may have left you lean also (I've seen headers glow like you described running lean - were your headers glowing also?) What headers/Y-pipe is on there now? If the cats are just clamped on the headers I'd just pull the cats off and drive open headered to Norris Motorsports. I'd rather be obnoxious as hell and loud rather than risk damaging anything else.

If you can avoid it I would really quit driving your car until he can have a look at your motor. Driving with your rings and tuning how it is plus the clogged cats might be doing more harm than good right now. If you are running lean and have been driving it around like this for some time you may end up replacing more than just piston rings..... I hope not though for your sake.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JF WS6
- were your headers glowing also?) What headers/Y-pipe is on there now?
Not at all, just the cat on the exhaust side of the cat. The entire cat wasn't red.

If the cats are just clamped on the headers I'd just pull the cats off and drive open headered to Norris Motorsports.
Oh my god would that be loud. So its not bad to drive with open headers for long periods? I thought it changed things quite a bit with the tune.

If you are running lean and have been driving it around like this for some time you may end up replacing more than just piston rings..... I hope not though for your sake.
If anything, its really rich. What other things would I have to replace from a lean situation?
Old 10-29-2003, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Just wondering, why would you choke a 436 with cats?
Old 10-29-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

while i agree with quickWS6, its your choice. keep that puppy off the road as much as humanly possible, or take the cats off. you won't hurt anything with running open heads, except maybe the five oh's sensitve sense of hearing
Old 10-29-2003, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

damn Lyle it seems like you have one problem right after another..

I'd go catless from now on.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not at all, just the cat on the exhaust side of the cat. The entire cat wasn't red.

Oh my god would that be loud. So its not bad to drive with open headers for long periods? I thought it changed things quite a bit with the tune.

If anything, its really rich. What other things would I have to replace from a lean situation?
Well, that's good you didn't have anything else glowing but the cat. I would agree with the above statement and say that it is probably clogged.

If you had damage from detonation because of a lean condition it can damage pistons, rings, valves and valve seals, head gaskets..... it might be able to do head damage or damage the sleeves in your block also, but that's only if you had severe detonation. If you're sure it's running rich you probably won't need to worry about that stuff though but I know your tune is out of whack for sure.

I wouldn't suggest running open headers for LONG periods, but it would be ok if you just drove your car to the shop like that. Is your TA your only source of transportation? Because if you had a beater car that's what I would be driving until you can get your car into the shop and repaired/retuned.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JF WS6
Well, that's good you didn't have anything else glowing but the cat. I would agree with the above statement and say that it is probably clogged.

If you had damage from detonation because of a lean condition it can damage pistons, rings, valves and valve seals, head gaskets..... it might be able to do head damage or damage the sleeves in your block also, but that's only if you had severe detonation.
Well, let me bounce this off you. I've been told that other things could be damaged. But can other things be damaged IF the motor is running so PERFECTLY smooth, quiet, cool, noise free, no SES codes, etc.... The only thing that is wrong is the oil burn and the clouds of smoke I leave when I hit the gas prety good AND the detonation I would get IF I went WOT and allowed the rpms to reach 5,000. Otherwise this thing starts on the first bump every time, idles perfect, accelerates perfect, does everything perfect.

I wouldn't suggest running open headers for LONG periods, but it would be ok if you just drove your car to the shop like that. Is your TA your only source of transportation? Because if you had a beater car that's what I would be driving until you can get your car into the shop and repaired/retuned.
I thought someone told me that it was bad to do it. Especially HWY driving.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by quickWS6
Just wondering, why would you choke a 436 with cats?
They are high-flow cats
I didn't really want the noise that came with a catless exhaust
and its still a Federal offense to not have them.

I may ditch them and put 2 electric cutouts in there places. Screw the noise, I should get 15 rwhp from removing them right? Who knows how much from two open cutouts.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
damn Lyle it seems like you have one problem right after another..

I'd go catless from now on.
Its BS isn't it. After it comes back from its re-ringing and refreshing, if I have any more trouble I'm gonna sell the bastard and start over. I'll consider the car cursed.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Its BS isn't it. After it comes back from its re-ringing and refreshing, if I have any more trouble I'm gonna sell the bastard and start over. I'll consider the car cursed.
I got a 99 I could sell ya pal!
Old 10-29-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Orange Krush
I got a 99 I could sell ya pal!
At least I know where your tranny's been
Old 10-30-2003, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

Wink

At least I know where your tranny's been
That's right, and it's still going strong too!!! :p
Old 10-30-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL I think you have cursed yourself

How about tuning the damn thing properly with a reflashed PCM, Ls1edit on a dyno! (After you re-ring it)

DO NOT USE ED's TUNING AFTER THE RERING OF THE MOTOR!!

Good luck
Old 10-30-2003, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

When they re-ring your car will they re-use your old pistons or will you get new pistons and new rings?

I heard of one other case where a tuner left a car lean and it did destroyed itself with knock....

If you cats are red, I would assume you have a fuel air mismatch that could be casued by bad tuning....
Old 10-30-2003, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow ...a 436CI stroker...

...what kind of pistons and rings does the motor have now?

...I assume that if the tune was not right it could have done damage to the rings and might also have caused the cats to light up....
Old 10-30-2003, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, let me bounce this off you. I've been told that other things could be damaged. But can other things be damaged IF the motor is running so PERFECTLY smooth, quiet, cool, noise free, no SES codes, etc.... The only thing that is wrong is the oil burn and the clouds of smoke I leave when I hit the gas prety good AND the detonation I would get IF I went WOT and allowed the rpms to reach 5,000. Otherwise this thing starts on the first bump every time, idles perfect, accelerates perfect, does everything perfect.
You can't always tell what is going on in there unless you're actually logging a run on the dyno or running autotap or something - just because it sounds ok doesn't mean it is. If you can actually hear the detonation occuring it is most likely severe. So that being said, for the sake of your 10+ thousand $ motor try to avoid driving it as much as possible until it's repaired/retuned.

I thought someone told me that it was bad to do it. Especially HWY driving.
Do you still have your 02 sensors hooked up behind the cats? if they are still present you can get some 02 simulators to replace them and pull the cats off with no adverse affects. It is also possible to delete the rear 02's with LS1Edit.

With the 02 sims in place or with them deleted in edit it will run fine with open headers, it'll just be loud is all.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Wow ...a 436CI stroker...

...what kind of pistons and rings does the motor have now?

...I assume that if the tune was not right it could have done damage to the rings and might also have caused the cats to light up....
Ross pistons, SpeedPro rings.