Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

msd 6ls worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd 6ls worth it or not?

just as the title says. is the 6ls worth it? what all is needed to use it a special harness?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock coils are good to over 1000hp, youd just be wasting money.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd spend the money elsewhere...our ignition system doesn't seem to need aftermarket stuff that bad, outside of plugs/wires
Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

cool thanks for the input
Old 04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, aside from having an adjustable 2-step rev control, boost (MAP sensor) retard and fully programmable timing curve, I guess it is unnecessary junk...

BTW, what does this have to do with the coils???

Russ
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Well, aside from having an adjustable 2-step rev control, boost (MAP sensor) retard and fully programmable timing curve, I guess it is unnecessary junk...

BTW, what does this have to do with the coils???

Russ
the person the started the post most likely thought it was like the 6al. he most likely wanted to know if they needed extra spark for the coils like the original one did. id say that has to do with the coils. considering hptuners is just a little extra and does allot more than this box would do i would say its a waste of money. unless you can think of something that this box would do that was more helpful than a good tuning suite.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sroach20
the person the started the post most likely thought it was like the 6al. he most likely wanted to know if they needed extra spark for the coils like the original one did. id say that has to do with the coils. considering hptuners is just a little extra and does allot more than this box would do i would say its a waste of money. unless you can think of something that this box would do that was more helpful than a good tuning suite.
Maybe I missed that... NOT! Here's the original post including the title:

msd 6ls worth it or not?
just as the title says. is the 6ls worth it? what all is needed to use it a special harness?
Nothing mentioned about "coils" anywhere, hence my question. Any tuning suite will have way more ability than an add-on "box", but then again, they are much more $$$ than the box. Not sure if any of the tuning stuff has a 2-step or boost retard either, prolly not...

And to the original poster: yes, you'll need a harness if you're piggy-backing it to the factory PCM. Only when running it in stand-alone mode, do you not need the harness

Russ
Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

its called making an assumption, since everytime someone asks about these they are asking because they are thinking of the 6als that provided extra spark for a better burn. i would bet that is why he asked about it. judging from his answer saying thanks for the advice that is why he asked. if that answer was not clear to you im sure someone can explain it to you, i cant i dont have the patience and crayons to draw you a picture.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

yea my question was about spark. but having a 2 step and being able to adjust the timing would be nice.

Quick Reply: msd 6ls worth it or not?