Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meziere Electric "Street" Water Pump-Daily Driveable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Meziere Electric "Street" Water Pump-Daily Driveable?

looking to squeeze all the power i can outta my 346 and thought this wouldnt be a bad idea but while i dont drive the car daily anymore i still drive it alot and was wondering if the street pump can handle alot of driving?? has anyone else driven a electric water pump car daily for any amount of time? what was your experience?

thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

kind of expensive for the gains on a street car...
Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednaxela
kind of expensive for the gains on a street car...
I don't think that was the question.

I think it would be okay
Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are rated for 3000-5000 hours of continuous use. I don't DD my car per se, but it gets driven 4 times a week on the high side and at least once a week on the low side. The ewp was installed on my h/c bolton 346, and I liked it so much that I had LGM re use it on my 402 they built for me. Keeps the 5xx/5xx @ rw's cool and helps with fuel efficiency too. My 346 setup used to get 32-34.5 mpg actual on the highway on long trips at 70 mph in 6th gear with cruise set. Not sure how the 402 does as I haven't taken any trips and been able to use the cruise. The trip back from Texas varying the rpms and with plenty of stops still managed 23+ actual mpg. I think in cruise mode for 300 + miles she could get 27-28 mpg.

The Ewp isn't going to add much power, but it will do several things. It will allow you engine to rev a lot quicker due to a reduction in parasitic loss. It also improves fuel economy under normal driving conditons. When coupled with a ud pully you could see a 5 mpg improvement during normal driving. Go WOT and they do what every mod does help you burn more gas. LOL. Good luck, I hope my rambling helped in some way.

BTW the ewp was originally installed in 2006 and has about 16000 miles or so on it?? Not sure maybe a bit less or a bit more. Lots of trips to Northern Michigan in the summer and fall, and never an issue.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

can't speak on the longevity of the pump since its only been on since january 09. but everrything else about it works great for daily driving.

only downside i've seen is slower warm up. and i'm pretty sure if i put smaller bypass holes in the Tstat...it wouldn't be so bad.

3000 hrs of continuous use, multiplied by a conservative average distance of 45miles per hour of driving (avg over all your driving is probably a little higher unless you live in a big city)...you get 135,000 miles.
and 5000hrs is over 200K miles.

sounds like a good life to me
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

+1 on the longevity equation you used. Meziere is pretty confident in their EWP to back it for 2 years, and even offer a discounted rebuild fee if you choose to take that option after 2 years. I think I am remembering correctly on the rebuild option, but better verify it first.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've ran my remote mount meziere ewp for 5000 miles or so and don't know any different (i'm a conversion guy) except it's been perfectly reliable and i NEVER drive the car conservatively so i can't give you an accurate fuel consumption figure. I live 3 minutes away from a canyon and use the car typically to make my shitty mondays better

Also, the pump is mounted within 2'' of a primary and 2'' of the passenger side muffler with no heat wrap or shields. Nice piece, i've got it on a switch and it cools the car RIGHT NOW at idle, and when i take out the thermostat the cooling system is TOO EFFICIENT! I once drove the car without paying attention without the thermostat in on the freeway and found the motor was running at 155*'s!!! NOT GOOD. Put it on a key'd on relay and run a thermostat.

Last edited by lazylongboarder; 05-01-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 208 Likes on 93 Posts

10k miles and counting with mine

Last edited by cdubbzz; 05-02-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Launching!

a buddy of mine racked up about 60-75k on his as a DD and never had any problems
Old 05-02-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Although i've had no problems with mine, Ls1Rx7 (or Rx7Ls1) had 2 burn up on him in 6 months. In my opinion it was prolly just the way it was setup but who knows.

There's a group of cars that go driving early (5-6am) saturday and sunday mornings (no po po) and we frequently reach the top end of our gearing. With my setup the car will only start to heat up 150+ WOT for a Texas mile like pull. Around town+freeway+normal driving it's very efficient.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a clean blue one from a member on here. I just installed it and it has a small leak on the top.

Once bitten twice shy with me, I re-installed my mechanical pump and decided to call it a day.

Last edited by bearcatt; 08-30-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

for those of you out there with patience who may come across a used pump thats anodized a color you are not into....

I picked up one of these a while back and unfortunately it was blue. Since i am not into willie nelson red white and blue **** under the hood, i carefully used ez off oven cleaner and a towel. Spray the oven cleaner on the surfaces and allow it to sit a moment, then the blue **** just wipes right off. Be careful as, if you leave the cleaner on there too long, the aluminum will begin to corrode and the finish will require polishing. If you are careful and patient, you can easily wipe off the anodizing and your pump will be polished. I used a toothbrush in some spots that were tougher than others.

Kinda a pain in the ***, but i found this pump for 150 bucks used. Its a 650 dollar pump as you all know, so it was a good sacrifice.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much power you have now? I don't think the 5hp the water pump will add is worth it for the price and it's a street car. My 346ci made 463hp 414tq with a non ported fast,12 bolt,steel drive shaft and a stock water pump on a mustang dyno. I also ran 11.1 n/a at 3,700lbs.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

6 years, 40,000+ miles. I'd trust it for another 40K. Buy one.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to have one on my car. I had a CSI pump on my old LT1 car and it was fantastic. Coupled with an underdrive pulley I got 30+ mpg out of my M6 4.10 Fbody if I drove it conservatively on the highway.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

According to the laws of physics, in particular, conservation of energy, you will not create extra power by using an electric water pump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

I have a red one. It looks good, and it's a nice advantage to be able to cool my car quickly between laps at the drags by running the pump and the fans while the engine is off. Just don't expect to gain much, if anything, by virtue of reducing drag on the accessory belt....that belt requires more energy to turn because of the power drawn by the EWP.

Last edited by ShevrolayZ28; 02-06-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
According to the laws of physics, in particular, conservation of energy, you will not create extra power by using an electric water pump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

I have a red one. It looks good, and it's a nice advantage to be able to cool my car quickly between laps at the drags by running the pump and the fans while the engine is off. Just don't expect to gain much, if anything, by virtue of reducing drag on the accessory belt....that belt requires more energy to turn because of the power drawn by the EWP.
Wrong. I would not look to wikipedia for engine advice. I certainly wouldn't be offering that advice to other.

Does your car run slower with the radio on? I'm willing to bet not. The conservation of energy is entirely correct. Except that were not trying to create energy. Were are taking the mechanical energy needed to turn the water pump and, instead, using the electrical energy that is already there as a bi-product of the mechanical energy harnessed from the combustion process. We are not creating anything. Just making more efficient use of the resources at hand.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure I picked up a solid 3mpg on the interstate with my EWP and UDP in my old 96 Z28. It revved quicker and pulled harder.

Plus, there are dyno graphs out there showing hp increases with the only change being an EWP, so the physics myth is busted. I'm thinking it was like an 8hp increase.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Wrong. I would not look to wikipedia for engine advice. I certainly wouldn't be offering that advice to other.

Does your car run slower with the radio on? I'm willing to bet not. The conservation of energy is entirely correct. Except that were not trying to create energy. Were are taking the mechanical energy needed to turn the water pump and, instead, using the electrical energy that is already there as a bi-product of the mechanical energy harnessed from the combustion process. We are not creating anything. Just making more efficient use of the resources at hand.
And I would not go to you for a physics lesson.

Bro, the electrical energy is not 'already there'. It comes from spinning the alternator, and it's at the expense of kinetic energy from the engine that the alternator is spun (conservation of energy). And keep in mind that the alternator becomes harder to spin as the load on it increases (magnetic fields), and the EWP draws electricity from the alternator -- increasing it's load. Does that make sense? lol
Old 02-06-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

My buddy's got one on his. No problems. Flows high at idle, meant to help cool the car real good when off or idling.

Quick Reply: Meziere Electric "Street" Water Pump-Daily Driveable?