Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze

I looked at the other sections on the forum don't no were to post it so im putting it were i no everyone will see it. I no i have to use dexcool but ive been reading alot that it blows the head gasket and its not good. Have you guys had a problem? If so what do you recommend? Manual says to use it silicate free but im not gunna use something thats bad for the car.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

I hate dexcool personally. So I flushed the coolant system and used the green stuff. I run the same temps I did before.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

But I have always heard that it can be harmful and eat gaskets. I don't know if it's true or not. Plus when it goes bad it capes up and turns to sludge.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have never had a problem with dexcool. i am due for a flush soon along with new hoses and such. you are supposed to use distilled water with it and im pretty sure along with the green stuff.im pretty sure the dexcool is supposed to be aluminum friendly, radiator block heads not really sure if that is the case tho. good luck
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Whats the green stuff? I checked my coolant it looks like tan sludge thats why i was asking about the dexcool
Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Animal323
Whats the green stuff? I checked my coolant it looks like tan sludge thats why i was asking about the dexcool
the stuff they used before dexcool. when dexcool first came out in the 90's, we were told to only use it with distilled water. i do not know if anything has changed, except the fact some people dont like it.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

The green stuff is what every other car besides GM's uses. And if your coolant looks like sludge you need to have it flushed.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have a legitimate reason not to like Dexcool? Give me a "for example."
Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have it flushed with dex. It is more resistant to turning acidic than green. Not that green is bad by any means. Never use non distilled water it messes up the ph balance. I use green only because it is cheaper and I never go more than 25-30k between flushes anyway so I don't spend it on dex. I'm a freak about my fluids always being clean and fresh. All the car companies use dex now anyway it is just pink instead so they can charge more when you need a flush.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

I always flush the systems I own/work on regularly and replace with green. The first LSXs we put together and the other GM vehicles that we have worked on start getting this crusty like stuff built up inside the coolant passages in the gaskets. I dont know if it is due to mixing with no distilled water or something of that nature but all systems I have owned are flushed/changed at proper intervals. Never had that problem with green, so I just always switch to green.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is more of a question than a solution, and i might help in costs. does boiling water constitute distilled. or is there more to it, i hate spending money on things i dont have too. i have just moved to florida and i havent gotten my moonshine still yet.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they say not to use the green is the ls because it reacts with the aluminum
Old 05-22-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Distilled water is pure water with no impurities. It's made by boiling water and the steam (pure water) condenses in a different clean container.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Launching!

I drain the dex crap out of all my GM vehicles. All my vehicles run the Blue BMW coolant. I get it free since I am a BMW tech. If it works for magnesium and aluminum in BMW's it will sure as hell work on my GM cars.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u743138 i was thinking this it says add no water or the normal prestone bottle and ws6er the bimmer stuff works never messed anything up for you got paid yesterday almost bout the prestone ten min ago just wanna confirm real quick the guy said it takes 3 one gallon bottles if that sounds rite to you guys.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just running distilled water and a bottle of RedLine Water weater. I just left a small amount of dex in the block that was left over after I did my H/C. Temps are very stable. We don't have hard winters down here in La.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u743138 i was thinking this it says add no water or the normal prestone bottle and ws6er the bimmer stuff works never messed anything up for you got paid yesterday almost bout the prestone ten min ago just wanna confirm real quick the guy said it takes 3 one gallon bottles if that sounds rite to you guys.
WTF!

Punctuation

USE IT

Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Never had any problems with any of my vehicle. I have it in my 02 2500hd 6.0l, my bros 01 5.2 tahoe (has 200k on it now) My 02 BMW 02 325 of course, 01 WS6 25k, 94 s15 w/4.3 145k, 01 sonoma 2.2l 210k, My 78 camaro with built sb about 5k, and anything else that I do coolant on.

Warranty pays for a gallon every time we do thermostats and I only have to use maybe 2 cups. Not to mention when we do coolant flushes, we mix it 50/50 and most cars only hold 1 gallon total.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Does anyone have a legitimate reason not to like Dexcool? Give me a "for example."

FOR EXAMPLE...

My girlfriend's 2000 Blazer started belching this nasty, orange "goo" out of the overflow pipe from the reservoir. I took it back home to investigate. I still am not sure what happened, but EVERYTHING in the cooling system had a coating of the stuff on it. It looked kind of like that aerosol insulation you can buy...but it's consistency was a bit more fluid. Hard to explain. Did some research online and saw that there was actually a CLASS ACTION SUIT against GM due to things like this. Apparently people would take their vehicles to the stealership and would require $800-$1000 in repairs. Fried gaskets, water pumps, clogged radiators, and everything in between. It took FOREVER to get this **** out of the cooling system and I will NEVER put it back in anything else I own.

Just make sure if you do decide to switch, that you get ALL of the DEX-COOL out before you add the green stuff. I've heard that it precipitates Silicon if mixed. Not sure if it's true or not, but better safe than sorry I guess.

Just Google it!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/...r_dexcool.aspx

http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

I know you can't believe everything you read, but I have personally experienced this crap happening, and judging by what others claim to have experienced, I think I may have been lucky.

$.02

EDIT: The aforementioned Blazer probably had 40-60,000 miles on the coolant. I know this is too long to go before a flush, but is hardly the 150,000 miles that DEX-COOL is touted to last.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firefighterformula
FOR EXAMPLE...

My girlfriend's 2000 Blazer started belching this nasty, orange "goo" out of the overflow pipe from the reservoir. I took it back home to investigate. I still am not sure what happened, but EVERYTHING in the cooling system had a coating of the stuff on it. It looked kind of like that aerosol insulation you can buy...but it's consistency was a bit more fluid. Hard to explain. Did some research online and saw that there was actually a CLASS ACTION SUIT against GM due to things like this. Apparently people would take their vehicles to the stealership and would require $800-$1000 in repairs. Fried gaskets, water pumps, clogged radiators, and everything in between. It took FOREVER to get this **** out of the cooling system and I will NEVER put it back in anything else I own.

Just make sure if you do decide to switch, that you get ALL of the DEX-COOL out before you add the green stuff. I've heard that it precipitates Silicon if mixed. Not sure if it's true or not, but better safe than sorry I guess.

Just Google it!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/...r_dexcool.aspx

http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

I know you can't believe everything you read, but I have personally experienced this crap happening, and judging by what others claim to have experienced, I think I may have been lucky.

$.02

EDIT: The aforementioned Blazer probably had 40-60,000 miles on the coolant. I know this is too long to go before a flush, but is hardly the 150,000 miles that DEX-COOL is touted to last.
having worked for several dealerships in the past, i have seen lots of problems over the years blamed on the manufacture. i dont know you or your girlfriend but did she add tap water to her radiator, or something else. i dont doubt what you say happened, buti have seen some people try to say they didnt due anything wrong to cause that engine blow up. then you tear down the engine oopps. please dont take this the wrong way, but my car still has its dexcool from 2 yrs ago no problems yet. did she buy this car new or used?