Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK intake gain anything.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Default BBK intake gain anything.....

With stock ls1 heads? Or is it better to upgrade the heads first and add an intake later?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will get about 10hp from the bbk. i recommend the ls6 intake over it.

1. heat soak on the aluminum intake
2. weight of the aluminum intake.
3. i believe they sell for a little more than the ls6 as well.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

If I do this I need to retain EGR for emissions legality. The BBK is the easiest in that regard.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah but you will still fail visual because of the BBK even if EGR is hooked up. I have a BBK intake with EGR hooked up but am about to swap it for an SLP LS6 intake with EGR provisions. Even though I'll pass the sniffer and everything else with the BBK as soon as I pop the hood I'll fail.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
you will get about 10hp from the bbk. i recommend the ls6 intake over it.

1. heat soak on the aluminum intake
2. weight of the aluminum intake.
3. i believe they sell for a little more than the ls6 as well.
I'm in Phoenix... Heat soak is not an issue I love how this keeps coming back as a reason not to buy this intake though... IMO this is better than the LS6 because it has a removable panel enabling you the capabilites to port it if needed. Also it's aluminum, so nitrous backfires (if you plan on using nitrous) are not an issue. Weight...? Well, ok... twitchtwice is right, it does weigh a little more, but it's really not gonna make that much of a difference unless your going for an all out top fuel drag car.

Originally Posted by 4150
Yeah but you will still fail visual because of the BBK even if EGR is hooked up. I have a BBK intake with EGR hooked up but am about to swap it for an SLP LS6 intake with EGR provisions. Even though I'll pass the sniffer and everything else with the BBK as soon as I pop the hood I'll fail.
Not necessarily... he's not in the wretched state of CA (which I will be moving back to in 1 month ) so his emissions laws could be different and not require a visual or not be as strict in those regards... he'd have to check...
Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ Yes your right I should have added that, not every state is as hardcore as California when it comes to smog checks.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my bbk about 2 months ago replacing my ls1 intake and to tell you the truth i lost some power.
the car lost some on the low end and maybe gained a tiny bit at about 5800 or so rpm so right at the top of my rev range.
my car was tuned before the intake and the car ran perfect then with the bbk the car just dident seem right.

i went to my local 1.8th mile track and lost 2 mph and about 2 tenths so i think a ls6 is a much better option.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shaun
i got my bbk about 2 months ago replacing my ls1 intake and to tell you the truth i lost some power.
the car lost some on the low end and maybe gained a tiny bit at about 5800 or so rpm so right at the top of my rev range.
my car was tuned before the intake and the car ran perfect then with the bbk the car just dident seem right.

i went to my local 1.8th mile track and lost 2 mph and about 2 tenths so i think a ls6 is a much better option.

don't want to insult you but did you get it tuned after the swap?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

no it wasent tuned but it shouldent of thrown it off so much to make the car run crappy.
it was running rich with the bbk and i know the tune needed to be touched up a little.

my main beef is it just not fiting good and the crappy paper gaskets they give you for the tb and bottom of the intake.