Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to replace motor mounts with longtubes installed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to replace motor mounts with longtubes installed?

Random question - I'm gonna install poly or solid mounts before I drop the longtubes in, but I'm also going to have the whole shebang welded up to fit right after they're in - if I have to replace the mounts in the future, how hard is it to get them with the longtubes still installed (since removing them will be extremely difficult at that time, obviously).
Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

Just done it the other day. Be prepared to cut the crap out of your hands and pull off alot of accesories (ac comp., starter, alternator, etc.)... Just read the writeups they pretty much cover it all it will take some time and muscle trust me.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Do yourself a HUGE favor and do them while the manifolds/headers are off the car. It makes things a lot easier.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't weld all that crap up. Virtually nobody welds there stuff together. Band Clamps are where it's at. It's really hard with the headers in place to replace motor mounts. Even worse is if you had to drop the entire Header/Y combo as one piece cause it was welded to get to the mounts.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Don't weld all that crap up. Virtually nobody welds there stuff together. Band Clamps are where it's at. It's really hard with the headers in place to replace motor mounts. Even worse is if you had to drop the entire Header/Y combo as one piece cause it was welded to get to the mounts.
Well, I'm thinking about getting flanges welded on and bolting it up @ the y on both sides, but there's no way I'm leaving bandclamps on for the rest - right now it all fits extremely poorly (shouldn't have gotten the magnaflow catback), so it's going to ~have~ to be cut to actually fit the car and welded up as a result. I'm sure the headers will fit fine, but the catback has to be welded to fix it.

I'm going to replace the mounts now as well, but I'm thinking about things in the future, when they go bad again. I want this stuff to be high quality, which means custom fitting and welding - as it is right now, the muffler hangs crooked and almost scrapes...
Old 06-07-2009, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Are you sure you have all the hangers on and positioned correctly? Figured I'd ask because I just got rid of my Magnaflow and it tucked up pretty well and evenly...
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

yep - my best bud helped me do it and we tried adjusting it several times - he worked for 6 years running an exhaust shop, and we finally gave up in frustration as nothing we did would get it to fit right. I asked around - seems like a lot of people actually had some issues with that one and getting it to sit right. We even got pics of people who had it on right - mine just doesn't fit or hang correctly at all.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Thats strage about the issues your having with your magnaflow catback, mine fit really well, and hangs nicely, I just installed my longtubes and found that the y pipe bangs like a bitch, after the instal, I found out that the best way to fix it is to instal poly mounts (got the heater hose mod in there for now) I looked back up in there and Im not looking forward to having to do those mounts now with my headers in there
Old 06-08-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you use ratchet wrenches, you should be able to do it, w/out removing everything
Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

The worst and most painful mod I have ever done. Take the headers off!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

+1 to metalmechanic ratchet wrenches are your best friend while working on an fbody, worth every penny
Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
Thats strage about the issues your having with your magnaflow catback, mine fit really well, and hangs nicely, I just installed my longtubes and found that the y pipe bangs like a bitch, after the instal, I found out that the best way to fix it is to instal poly mounts (got the heater hose mod in there for now) I looked back up in there and Im not looking forward to having to do those mounts now with my headers in there
It seems like it's 50-50 on the magnaflow. Sadly, their customer service was not only non-existent, but exceptionally lacking when I asked about it. Suffice to say, this will be the last magnaflow part I ever use again.

Mine literally looks like it's about to fall off on the driver's side. But that'll get fixed by the exhaust shop.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are a bitch to install... takes a while... do the install when you are doing the LT headers install

Quick Reply: How hard is it to replace motor mounts with longtubes installed?