Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got one for ya!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got one for ya!

ok my car has been ticking for a couple months now and i finally got around to checking where it's comming from. well to make a long story short, it's comming from egr tube somewhere down by the collector on the passenger side . the reason i know this is b/c i had my car running and had my hands all around the collector and felt no leak and also it's not black around where the collector mates with the y pipe or anything. when i listen to it under the car or kneeling down beside the car, it's alot more noticeable than when standing or looking under the hood. so my friend has some kind of expecsive camera on a stick (i know it sounds crazy but it's really the only way i can describe it) and i saw black on the egr tube as far down as i could see. not good. so here's my questions... has anybody else had this trouble and if so, how did you fix it? also, if i take it somewhere to get it welded, i want to be able to tell them what exactly has to be taken apart and welded if they aren't familiar with mac headers so what tube does the egr tube connect to? any info is appreciated.

Last edited by ngozer; 11-09-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have an exhaust leak where the AIR tube bolts up to the passenger side manifold. Have you tried torquing the bolts down? If not, you could replace the gasket or completely remove the AIR system and install a block off plate.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Launching!

already did away that and put new gaskets under the block off plates and never messed with them since. thanx anyway.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably your AIR valves clicking; very common after emissions style headers are installed.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Launching!

again thanx for the reply but i took my whole air system off. any other ideas by any chance?
Old 11-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Either an exhaust leak somewhere close to the heads or you have a bent push rod, valve or colapsed lifter. Miss any shifts at the time this started?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Launching!

nope. no missed shifts. just curious, why would the leak be close to the heads if it sounds louder when i'm under the car or kneeling beside it and it's black around the egr tube toward the collector?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Launching!

ttt please
Old 11-10-2003, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Every exhaust shop I deal with requires the header out of the car anyway to do any kind of welding.
My guess would be a cracked weld, especially around the mating areas of the EGR and AIR provisions.
Just another thought.