Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V Band Clamps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default V Band Clamps?

Any of you guys use v band clamps on your exhaust systems? I have a custom made true dual setup and for some reason my band clamps on my header collectors wants to keep leaking so I'm looking at v band clamps and was wondering if anyone had good luck with these.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are on my FLP headers on my Camaro SS. I have had good luck with them but last year I had to buy new clamps (changing the off road pipes to catylstic converters to get inspection sticker) because bolt broke and when I did I went to the local auto parts store and got regular nuts instead of the lock nuts and I will just have to see how that works out.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I have two up front and one at the rear so I can drop my whole exhaust. I use Mr.Gasket material between the flanges for zero leaks.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

you need to use gasket material between the flanges? i always thought with v bands you didnt need that?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the v-band on my 96 TA FLP headers so tto say they are old is an undrstatement. I put some of the high temp copper inside of the v-band and tighten them down over the pipes. seems to hold up fine for me
Old 07-08-2009, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

You will get some leak without something there. Think about it... metal to metal under pressure with any misalignment. I use the graphite material with wire mesh. It's about $22 a sheet from Summit but you can make about 12 gaskets.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Banned

If you have a lowered car you will have problems with them breaking off. And yes, they do leak without gasket material between them.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
metal to metal under pressure with any misalignment.
Under pressure? Pressure in the system only occurs when you have resistance. A dual 3" exhaust provides overkill flow for most V8's, stock or stroked. I'm not saying its non existant, however it is negligible, you would need some serious resistance to create more than a fraction of psi in the exhaust system for an N/A vehicle.

And what do you mean misalignment? Are you talking about the V band flanges lining up? I run V bands with no misalignment whatsoever, they sit flush, and I don't use any gasket or sealant and they have never leaked. In fact the whole purpose and desire of the v-band is that it doesn't require gaskets.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Good for you and you are nuts if you think you don't have more than a couple of PSI in your exhaust system. Maybe you are running different V-Bands than us or maybe you haven't really checked for leaks. Do whatever you want. Myself I will stick to running the gaskets and have a trouble and leak free exhaust.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Piece of reading for you. This is at 4k RPM's 4-8 PSI. We are at 6k plus RPM's

http://www.aa1car.com/library/exhaust_backpressure.htm
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Good for you and you are nuts if you think you don't have more than a couple of PSI in your exhaust system.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Its the simple truth of the method behind the madness. You're releasing the exhaust into the ambient air. There is nothing restricting it. Even through all the bends and mufflers it won't create enough resistance to create a positive pressure like a turbo system and even that is only a few psi in most street applications. But that positive pressure is between the compressor and engine. After the engine there is some between the turbine and head. After the turbine its being released to the ambient air and its pressure is non existent.

You don't have to believe because you don't understand it but you absolute cannot have pressure unless you have resistance. But I think you'll agree the resistance on the intake side of a turbo'ed motor is exponentially greater than that of an exhaust system especially on an N/A car. And the turbo system is only a few psi in alot of cases for street cars. If you think an exhaust system is met with similar resistance as a turbo faces on the intake side, if I were you, I wouldn't go around calling anyone else crazy.

You can ask another engineer and you'll be met with the same basic answer.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Piece of reading for you. This is at 4k RPM's 4-8 PSI. We are at 6k plus RPM's

http://www.aa1car.com/library/exhaust_backpressure.htm
We have a 3" dual exhaust system with no cats and high flow mufflers here. Resistance is very small. So you can take your 8psi and cut it down by alot!

But you just solidified my point even further. If you think a couple psi is alot to get past a properly fitted V band clamp, we're back to the crazy thing again.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

You aren't convincing me of anything. I have had my exhaust down more times than you probably ever changed plugs and will stick with what works for me and not having leaks.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Teching In

You aren't convincing me of anything. I have had my exhaust down more times than you probably ever changed plugs and will stick with what works for me and not having leaks.
Lol, I sincerely doubt about having the exhaust down and what not. But this is not the place to be competitive about someone taking their exhaust down.

I don't know how to express it to you any differently. pressure is simply force/area. Restriction in area is what gives you a higher pressure. Restriction can be in the form of a smaller diameter tubing, friction, or some type of other turbulence. And your boy there on that web page is taking a reading before the cat. Cat = resistance to flow. But take your 4-8psi for a stock exhaust system with cats and simply apply a larger area of flow and the pressure will drop. This is not including removing a restrictive catalyst or using a high flow muffler. Point blank a 3" catless exhaust for each bank of a 5.7L V8 is completely overkill in terms of flow.

Now as far as convincing you that such a small pressure won't cause a leak is a different story. But even a couple psi is minuscule at best.

Quick Reply: V Band Clamps?