Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling the crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling the crank pulley

I'm having trouble getting my crank pulley off the car. It's an underdrive pully so there aren't any spokes for the smaller pullers to grab onto. I've tried a couple of the Autozone loaner pullers but nothing is working. Any idea on which puller to use? This thing is kicking my butt!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just pulled my ASP off yesterday, I rented it from autozone. It's a harmonic damper puller. It comes in an orange case with different threaded rods that you screw into the ASp pulley. I can post the p/n when I get home if you need it
Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem a couple years ago with mine. I broke and went through several Sears and Autozone pullers. I gave up and asked one of the performance guys that I was friends with to come by and pull it off. I believe he used this kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66514/ . I apologize, I can't remember if this is an allowed partner on this site. If not look up the part (Pro-66514). There is also an "OTC Tools 4531". They look similar.

I couldn't get it off for nothing, he came by with this and took it off in 15 minutes. I'm sure you are doing this but make sure that (if it is a manual tranny) you lock down the flywheel or at least stop it from spinning.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

Yes, you need a puller that you can screw into the pulley it self, there are several threaded holes to do this. I don't know what it's called, but recently did it on a cam swap on a buddies GTO very recently.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using a Posi-Lock and a chain wrench for years. Works every time. I put a BIG allen head cap screw with a couple of large flat washer on it in the pulley bolt hole so the puller rod has something to buck up against. The force of the puller rod goes up against the crank snout NOT the pulley bolt threads. That might sound like a no brainer, but you'd be surprised how many horror stories have been posted here over the years by guys that didn't follow that axiom. The Posi-Lock is the best 3 leg puller made(Summit one will work too) and the chain wrench is used to hold the pulley fast as you turn the puller rod. You get a chain wrench at a plumbing supply store. Just make sure it has enough links to wrap all the way around the OEM pulley.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Launching!

so why do you need to hold the crank pulley in place? all your doing is pulling the balancer off, not rotating it, no? I used a harbor freight special 3 jaw puller on the stock balancer and worked great....also there was someone on here that figured out how to route the stock belt on the stock accessories where it would hold the balancer tight, actually the harder you try to turn the balancer the better it grips the balancer....it was pretty slick
Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Launching!

gonna have to find 3 bolts that are long enough and can thread into the pulley. GL!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People go to auto Zone and borrow/rent a Chrysler Pulley puller and had great luck. I used a 3-toe puller, we put a stocket that slipped into the pulley but bottomed out on the crank and I think a 25 cent (quarter) for the nose to sit on. It came off with ease.