Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow rattling bad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnaflow rattling bad...

so for the past week now my magnaflow catback has been rattling bad, i had a shop install it but they did a terrible job and will never go back, because there is a slight leak too, but my exhaust seems to be rattling when i am coming to a stop, and when i start taking off slowly it sounds like somthing is vibrating, like metal on metal or somthing or maybe tips hitting my bumper? idk but its driving me crazy, going to jack the car up this weekend and take a look while im painting my calipers, hope i can do some adjusting, because it is just unbareable. my girl says she can hear it from her porch when im backing out of her drive and i can be having that
Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

take it do a different shop - they can weld/cut/modify it to fit right.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not have to modify that catback at all. It sounds to me like a bum install. You should be able to loosen the clamps and adjust it to stop banging on everything.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem.. Does it sound like theres a piece of metal in the exhaust that rattles around when you rev it to like 1200 rpms?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. The resolution was to remove the rubber exhaust hanger from the chassis attachment point by the muffler on the driver's side and just let it hang. That rattling noise went away and hasn't been back since.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow and post it for visual reference.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
You should not have to modify that catback at all. It sounds to me like a bum install. You should be able to loosen the clamps and adjust it to stop banging on everything.
Sure you shouldn't, but you do. Mine is the same way, and no amount of modifying it got it to fit.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Recently switched to Magnaflow myself. The shop(SpeedInc.) did a very nice job getting the fit to be spot on. Up to now I am very satisfied with it.

I agree one should not have to screw around getting the fit to be just right for something you lay your hard earned cash for but what are you going to do?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
so for the past week now my magnaflow catback has been rattling bad, i had a shop install it but they did a terrible job and will never go back, because there is a slight leak too, but my exhaust seems to be rattling when i am coming to a stop, and when i start taking off slowly it sounds like somthing is vibrating, like metal on metal or somthing or maybe tips hitting my bumper? idk but its driving me crazy, going to jack the car up this weekend and take a look while im painting my calipers, hope i can do some adjusting, because it is just unbareable. my girl says she can hear it from her porch when im backing out of her drive and i can be having that
1)The first thing to visually check is the 3 inch exhaust pipe coming over and down just aft of the axle housing on the passenger side. There is a brace that runs at an angle from the passenger side to the driver side just under this pipe. The brace is above the panhard bar. There is very little clearance for a 3 inch pipe at this location. The pipe might be just barely touching this brace.

2)The installer might have removed this brace to make the install easier and then forgot to tighten the bolts causing the rattling after reinstalling it.

3) Two pipes exit from the passenger side of the muffler. They might be touching. The pic below shows how close they are to each other. You twist the muffler with each pipe up or down until they do not touch and then tighten the clamps.

In the pic below there is a red bar on top of the panhard bar. It is not stock. It replaces the bar mentioned above to allow more clearance. Your bar if stock is black.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/

4) It's doubtful, but the ratting might be in front of the axle where the pipe comes up and over. The exhaust pipe or clamp bolts might be touching the heat shield. If so the pipe is extremely out of alignment.

Tip: IMO this system is the easiest to adjust and can be done with the rear of the car on jack stands or ramps. Been there - done that - and I'm a young 62.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 08-01-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i climbed under my car today while i had it up painting the calipers.... the damn over axle pipe is just slighting touching the damn drive shaft where it connects to the rear end.. ? i was like wow wth had enough of the car to try and adjust it i might try in the morning since i had to let the calipers sit all day
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think my prob is number 4 on your list there lol , its starting to get un bareable when im slowly taking off from a stop , its been raining the last week so first chance its nice ill have to jack it up
Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
i think my prob is number 4 on your list there lol , its starting to get un bareable when im slowly taking off from a stop , its been raining the last week so first chance its nice ill have to jack it up
If it is rubbing or making contact with the heatshield, you will have to loosen the I pipe where it connects to your y-pipe merge and pull it back a bit (1/2 or so). That wil move the upward bound pipe in front of the axle away from the heat shield. The clamp where the I pipe and the over the axle pipe connect must be as tight as possible. It can slip down if loose. I use an air wrench. The band clamp will form at the connection as you tighten. If this connection is loose it will move everything else out of alignment aft of this point as the body and engine move while driving.

I cut an inch off the the I pipe at this connection point. I found the I pipe slips together easier and makes the I pipe more level under the car. However this step depends the level of your y-pipe merge. My ARH really tucks up close to the underside of the car - other systems might not.

In an earlier reply you said your driveshaft was rubbing on the exhaust. Check your driveshaft closely at this point for wear or fatigue. I had to replace my stock driveshaft because the installer pointed the band clamps bolts towards the driveshaft. One bolt cut a perfect circle as the driveshaft rotated.

This is the same way you cut a pipe in two. Since that fiasco I do most of own work on the exhaust.

Obviously your installer wasn't the best either. Good luck. You will enjoy your Magnaflow once it is installed correctly.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 08-02-2009 at 11:24 PM.