Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under axle for an irs look

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Under axle for an irs look

Anyone ever tried this on a formula?

I was thinking run a pipe on each side of the diff and come up with no tip. Just a 3 inch exit in stock location.

Something like the way they run on the irs mustangs.

I think tips look horrible on formulas and i think this would be unique and a way to have a cool look without running dumps.

Since my car is white with black accents I would prolly have all the exhaust done in black.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

ya no.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tals7
ya no.
Very helpful advice
It has been done before, a search on this site should bring up some pictures. The issue with this setup is going to be ground clearance. With the pipes routed under the axle, there needs to be clearance to allow the axle to travel.
I ran this setup on my previous vehicle and had issues with scraping, then again there are those who run this setup with no clearance issues. It is important to find a good exhaust place to do this, and i wouldn't reccomend removing the rear sway bar to gain clearance.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run 28 in tires and the car is stock height so it shouldnt be an issue.

Like i said im looking for that irs catback look. I love the routing and the way it doesnt have a tip that looks like an afterthought since you cant hide anything with the formula bumper
Old 08-18-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know. To me, it would just make it a PITA to do any suspension work, or drop the gas tank. If you do go for it, I would try to make it easily removable so you don't have to chop it up to get any work done.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's how my true duals run. I get lots of compliments. People think the combination of the pipes like that and my wide rear wheels makes the car look mean.

I have v-band clamps on the pipes just before the axle. It takes all of 5 minutes to drop the pipes if I have to. I work on the car all the time with no problem. Just jack the rear up by the center section.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
That's how my true duals run. I get lots of compliments. People think the combination of the pipes like that and my wide rear wheels makes the car look mean.

I have v-band clamps on the pipes just before the axle. It takes all of 5 minutes to drop the pipes if I have to. I work on the car all the time with no problem. Just jack the rear up by the center section.
Can i get a pic sir?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
this is key..
Old 08-22-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
this is key..
+346 already planned on it.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is the best pic I can get for now. The front is torn off the car and I'm not getting very good light into the garage.

I'd like to note that this was a TSP true dual setup extended out the back. If I were doing a custom setup, I'd space the pipes further to the sides of the center section. BTW, that's 3" all the way out the back and I'm at stock height.
Attached Thumbnails Under axle for an irs look-true-duals-1.jpg  

Last edited by PAGregSS; 08-24-2009 at 06:56 AM.