Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam sensor, help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam sensor, help?

Think my cam sensor my be gone or going, car randomly wont start, and when it dont tach goes wild when im turning it over. anbody got any input to help me out

2000 LS1
Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it's either the cam sensor, the wiring from the sensor to the MCM, or your cam is backing out like mine did. (Hope it's not the last one.)

Good luck with everything.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Might be the crank sensor.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joecar
Might be the crank sensor.
Try the crank sensor, car should run without the cam sensor....
Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just this summer my cam sensor went bad. my car would have trouble starting and the tachometer was completely dead, the tachometer never went crazy while cranking over like you said. i changed the senser out for a new one and everything has been fine since then.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Try the crank sensor, car should run without the cam sensor....
Actually you need the cam senor to start the car because the PCM will not know where TDC is at on cyl#1.. If you cam senor went out while you were driving it will still work as long as you don't turn off the car. But if you do, it won't start after that.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WARP211
Actually you need the cam senor to start the car because the PCM will not know where TDC is at on cyl#1.. If you cam senor went out while you were driving it will still work as long as you don't turn off the car. But if you do, it won't start after that.
Not what Ive been told by some fairly smart gents....

I was hunting down a nice problem that took a long time to figure out. Car just died at the 1000 foot, would randomly start. Sometimes it would run until a load was put on it, sometimes not at all. It was the crank sensor. I was told it will run based off the crank sensor, cam sensor or not. And it will go back to last known good timing.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Not what Ive been told by some fairly smart gents....

I was hunting down a nice problem that took a long time to figure out. Car just died at the 1000 foot, would randomly start. Sometimes it would run until a load was put on it, sometimes not at all. It was the crank sensor. I was told it will run based off the crank sensor, cam sensor or not. And it will go back to last known good timing.
in your case it's mostly likely be a crank sensor senor, since it does start and then dies... I've work on some vehicles that if the cam does not work the vehicle will not start at all.. So in essance they work together. Either way I'm glad you got it figured out..

Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From the GM Service Manual:

Crankshaft Position Sensor
Observe that as long as the PCM receives the Crankshaft Position sensor 24X signal, the engine will start. The PCM can determine top dead center for all cylinders by using the Crankshaft Position sensor 24X signal alone. The Camshaft Position sensor 1X signal is used by the PCM to determine if the cylinder at top dead center is on the firing stroke, or the exhaust stroke. The system attempts synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed indicating the engine started. If the PCM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the PCM assumes it incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke and re-synchronizes to the opposite cam position. A slightly longer cranking time may be a symptom of this condition.

Camshaft Position Sensor
Observe that as long as the PCM receives the Crankshaft Position sensor 24X signal, the engine will start. The PCM can determine top dead center for all cylinders by using the Crankshaft Position sensor 24X signal alone. The Camshaft Position sensor 1X signal is used by the PCM to determine if the cylinder at top dead center is on the firing stroke, or the exhaust stroke. The system attempts synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed indicating the engine started. If the PCM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the PCM assumes it incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke and re-synchronizes to the opposite cam position. A slightly longer cranking time may be a symptom of this condition.

(both sections contain the same verbatim).