Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

longtubes+inspection+ new jersey

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longtubes+inspection+ new jersey

i have an 02 camaro z28 i currently have a magnaflow catback on my car. this spring i want to put some ARH lt's with a catted Y on my car i was wondering if this set up will pass inspection here in NEW JERSEY. I was wondering if anyone had the same set up or longtubes here in jersey and passed. i go to the salem inspection station, just got my car in febuary so im not due for inspection for 2 years, but when the inspected my car they didnt do much just spun the wheels, i think they took a mirror to underneath. and checked the gas cap pressure, then i passed and was on my way.also this car is my only car and daily driver.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I noticed whenever i posted or saw someone post something about new jersey no one ever responds its like no one on this whole forum is from this state.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

from wut ive heard its a hit or miss in nj wit longtubes and cats. sometimes they do a visual check, other times they dont. i think they probly wouldnt check under the car unless they see you have a loud exhaust or something
Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed with longtubes, ory and a 3" magnaflow cat welded in the I pipe. I had the computer tuned for it so there were no codes. I talked it over with one of the guys there and he basically said that so long as you have a cat, and no codes.. you're good.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks alot man, i was really worried id fail the inspection. i didnt want to go spending all that money on a good pair of longtubes and keep failing inspection i know i could go , get a cutout and maybe the corsa catback and keep stock manifolds. might go with corsa eventually anyway i love the sound of my magnaflow but idk its just too quiet for me and dont like the cannon tips on my camaro i did but now they just rub me the wrong way ..
Old 09-05-2009, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can always just pay a shop to inspect you if you don't pass anyway. of course it helps to know people.

anyway: a good set up is basically long tubes, ory, (optional cat) and a cutout.

that opens the exhaust up pretty good. and its cheap.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes nj inspection sucks, it really depends on who you get and what there mood is. i used to fail because my chevelle had the gas tank with the nozzle for regular gas. which you havent been able to buy since the 80's. man that used to be a big argument there, had to wait for a manager and explain it real slow to him.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

yep.. just depends on who you get pretty much.. if you lived in cali I would be able to hook you up.. But you don't so.......
Old 09-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

As long as you have your rear o2's and air pump tuned out so that you pass your readiness tests, have no DTC's and ect you will pass..

Them inspecting underneath your car with the mirror doesnt really matter either because you can't really see the OEM pup cats plus most of those people don't even know what they are looking for anyways..

Since you are getting a catted Y-pipe all that does is make it easier for them to see the cats with a mirror underneath the car.

The only thing I have noticed in the last 4-5 years in Jersey is the louder your exhaust is the more it draws attention to your car and increases the chance that they will hassle you or fail you for having a loud exhaust..
But you having a Magnaflow shouldnt be a problem..

I dont know how much the ARH is but Keep your receipt for the catted Y-pipe also in case you do incounter any trouble because Jersey has an rule where if you spend $5-550 in an attempt to fix an emissions related inspection failure providing proof like a receipt can make you exempt to the rules..

I never pay for private inspections in Jersey if one place fails you or give your crap go to a different inspection station..
I learned to send my g/f in a skimpy tank top and shorts to the inspection station with my car and it always passes even when my car had the Loud mouth.. Haha
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man that was really helpful. and its a good thing i have a hot gf with huge ***** might try your little trick there haha.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

mods in sig, tuned everything out went right thru.
helps if worked at the local napa for 8 yrs and know all the mechanics in town, u have to let the car idle for a little while its hooked on the machine with the bay doors open on both ends the exhaust started to burn our eyes and i overheard one of the shops M3 driving customer say "that car is gonna fail its barely running(cam) and smells(!cats,air,egr)" i told my buddy the mechanic we started laughin he made sure to pull the car around front and slap the new sticker in the window where Mr M3 could see,
if u want to definitly pass just take your car to a shop and have it inspected its not free like the state but u dont have to worry
Old 09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never got a visual inspection on my car, just the sniffer. As long as your not throwing codes youll be fine, If not go to a garage that does inspections
Old 09-08-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
thanks man that was really helpful. and its a good thing i have a hot gf with huge ***** might try your little trick there haha.
C'mon.....share a little love with your fellow techer's... I'll post one previously unseen of my avtar.......Challenge haha.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha alright ill try and get her to take a pic with the z28 or something haha

ps: i had some of her in lingerie but i accidently deleted all the pics on her camera so she deleted the pics of her =[

Last edited by z28camaross2; 09-08-2009 at 11:54 PM.