Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Questions - Dressing my first LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Questions - Dressing my first LS1

Little background... This is my first LS1 motor and I am putting it in my 97 TJ Jeep. But all my questions are stricktly related to the LS1 motor.

It is a 2000 LS1 out of a Z28 Camaro, I just had the motor rebuilt, and I am now adding the accesory drive and all the outer bolt on's myself.

Here's my list of questions to wrap this motor up before I drop it in.

1. Does anyone have good pics of thier front accessory drive from a motor that is NOT running A/C? What will I need to do to find a Belt that is the right length since I am not running A/C?

2. What is the big hole located in the Intake manifold near the front by the throttle body used for?

3. There is a tapped hole on the top of the block located at the rear that is right next to a sensor plug, what is that used for?

4. I am missing my valve cover breather cap, should I get a stock one or an aftermarket one?

5. When I replace my thermostat, does it come complete with the bolt on housing or does it just come with the internal sprung thermostat that compresses into the housing? Do I need to worry about the check ball in the housing? I can hear it rattling around, so I assume that means its functional

6. Can you install the harmonic balancer on to far with the pusher tool? or does it just come to a complete stop when its on all the way? Is there any concer for the harmonic balancer to be clocked properly? and last, does anyone have the torque spec for the large harmonic balancer bolt? Yes I have a brand new harmonic balancer bolt.

7. I have an aluminum bracket left that has two small pullys on it, one of the pullys are spring loaded to allow installation of the belt. I am not exactly sure how this mounts to the front of the motor, maybe it used to be bolted to the ac compressor some how, which I do not have anymore?

Thanks a ton for the help, getting ready to install the motor in about 1 or 2 weeks so just wanted to knock out these last few questions!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Launching!

2. the hole is for egr, the ls6 intake doesnt have this, if your deleting the emissions crap you can put a rubber plug in it.(assuming were talking about the same hole)

5. it comes with the housing for it but I know it is possible to modify and use a regular one that is seperate from the housing.

6. if Im not mistaken when it stops its all the way on

7. the tensioner did go right above the ac, the idler is on the same bracket as the alternator right below the power steering pump.

hope this helps and if any of this info is incorrect someone will correct me im sure
Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Launching!

This is the type of plug I was talking about for the intake, you can get them at just about any parts house.

http://www.shawplugs.com/hex-nut-exp...ugs-c-253.html
Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help, still got a handfull of questions up there, can anyone help or post some pics. I know someones got the answers
Old 09-12-2009, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pbj-tj
Little background... This is my first LS1 motor and I am putting it in my 97 TJ Jeep. But all my questions are stricktly related to the LS1 motor.

It is a 2000 LS1 out of a Z28 Camaro, I just had the motor rebuilt, and I am now adding the accesory drive and all the outer bolt on's myself.

Here's my list of questions to wrap this motor up before I drop it in.

1. Does anyone have good pics of thier front accessory drive from a motor that is NOT running A/C? What will I need to do to find a Belt that is the right length since I am not running A/C?

2. What is the big hole located in the Intake manifold near the front by the throttle body used for?

3. There is a tapped hole on the top of the block located at the rear that is right next to a sensor plug, what is that used for?

4. I am missing my valve cover breather cap, should I get a stock one or an aftermarket one?

5. When I replace my thermostat, does it come complete with the bolt on housing or does it just come with the internal sprung thermostat that compresses into the housing? Do I need to worry about the check ball in the housing? I can hear it rattling around, so I assume that means its functional

6. Can you install the harmonic balancer on to far with the pusher tool? or does it just come to a complete stop when its on all the way? Is there any concer for the harmonic balancer to be clocked properly? and last, does anyone have the torque spec for the large harmonic balancer bolt? Yes I have a brand new harmonic balancer bolt.

7. I have an aluminum bracket left that has two small pullys on it, one of the pullys are spring loaded to allow installation of the belt. I am not exactly sure how this mounts to the front of the motor, maybe it used to be bolted to the ac compressor some how, which I do not have anymore?

Thanks a ton for the help, getting ready to install the motor in about 1 or 2 weeks so just wanted to knock out these last few questions!
Can someone answer these last few questions below and help me out?
Thanks again

some good close up pics of a stock motor would be great, not having luck finding the exact pics i need
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

for question number four
"I am missing my valve cover breather cap, should I get a stock one or an aftermarket one?" The stock LS1 engine doesn't come with a valve cover breather, speed inc sells one if you are running one though. I hope that helps
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

look, the a/c runs on the small belt drive,which is belt drive at the rear of the balancer. the balancer has two stes of belt drives. the a/c is a 4rib (rear)and the accessory drive is 6rib(front). with that being said, the stock belt length is all you will need.
if you are talking about the big hole on top of the intake, it is the egr port. being that its on a coversion vehicle, id have a tuner "tune" it out and then plug the hole.
there is no breather cap on an ls1. metco makes a breather that screws in place of the factory oil cap.
when the balancer bottoms out, you will need to apply 250ftlbs of torque onit to properly seat it.
the bracket you are talking about is the a/c bracket. if you are not going to run a/c, then you can just discard the bracket. and then you will just be running a single belt for all the rest of the accessories.(stock length).
hope this helps!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Didnt even realize that about the ac not bein connected to the other acc. when I was readin it.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Can anyone chime in on this Question?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Oil pressure sending unit maybe?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FoFittyFoSS
Oil pressure sending unit maybe?
Kinda need a for sure answer here, but thanks for trying man!!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Bump for an answer on this question, anyone?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take a picture of it for us that way we can tell you exactly what it is your talking about? It could be the cam position sensor or the oil pressure sensor. If it's in the middle back of the block at the top behind the valley cover then it's the camshaft position sensor. If it is in the same area of the block but at the far driver side of the valley cover then it's the oil pressure sensor. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hamrdown; 09-15-2009 at 09:19 PM.