Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont start and then it will

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car wont start and then it will

My friend has a 93 z28. Its not a DD. Around about the first of the year he went down where we all hang out. We had been thier for a long time. Long enough for everyones motors to cool. When he got in his car it was like someone to the bat. out of it. nothing come on.

We went and go a trailer and took him home. He tried again to start it, nothing. He went down the next day and everything worked and it started right up.

A few weeks later we all went out to bs. Got ready to leave and his car did it again. So we took him home again and the next day again everything worked and started right up.

He had all things elec. checked out through GM. They said everything checked out fine. With the problem still on going. He went and changed everything elec. Car is still doing it.

Has anyone had the problem? Or have any ideals on what to check. It just dont make any sence at all to me.

If anyone can help him with this pls. do. were getting tired of takeing him back home.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Need more info. How does it sound when he is trying to start it? Does it sound like the car wants to crank over or does it just click..click..click sound or nothing at all.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^What he said, does it register at all do all of the gauges kick on, does it crank? Does it just click? Does everything stop working when he tries to start it?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

It does nothing just like you took the bat. out off it. No power what so ever. Then let it set for a day and it will start just find. It dont do this every time he goes out in it. But it does it enough to get on my nerves and everyone else. The Ford guys seem to like it!
Old 10-17-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My car does this too. It sounds like a ground issue. I checked mine and the seem to look Ok and are tight. I would check those.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know it sounds stupid, but has he cleaned his terminals, I mean really cleaned them to make sure it has good contact, mine was touchy like that to, until I cleaned them
Old 10-17-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Zaxz28;12377800]I know it sounds stupid, but has he cleaned his terminals, I mean really cleaned them to make sure it has good contact, mine was touchy like that to, until I cleaned them[/QUOTE

The terminals are new now when he changed everything.

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
My car does this too. It sounds like a ground issue. I checked mine and the seem to look Ok and are tight. I would check those.
Everything elec. that one would think could cause this problem was replaced with new. New cumputer, wiring harness, relays, and fuses. So we are wordering if they are something else that we missed. We are just at a blank at this point. Did you find out what was the problem with yours or is it still an on going problem?

Last edited by craig382ci; 10-17-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

on going, it did it about 2 weeks ago. has not done it since, i just pray it never happens when im with a girl
Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This sounds like a security issue with me. Although I can't explain why it starts the next day. I dunno about that year of Camaro but GM put "kill switches" basicly in some of their cars as security features or something. My mom's Chevy van had one in it, my cousins Caprice had one in it, and ...my friends Old's had one in it.

Try turning the key to on, letting it sit for 10 minutes, turning the key back off, then starting it....."thats how we fixed it in the Olds". The others had an actual switch that had to be reset....

Of course I type this and it sounds silly, but this is honestly what I have been through.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
I know it sounds stupid, but has he cleaned his terminals, I mean really cleaned them to make sure it has good contact, mine was touchy like that to, until I cleaned them
When cleaning the battery terminals its a good idea to remove the battery bolt from the cable & clean inside the rubber boots. Corrosion is known to develope inside there & on the flat part of the cable & cause the symtoms you describe. You can use a wire brush, or if its pretty thick I will first scrape it out with a flat blade screwdriver. They also sell a battery cleaner in a spray can at your local auto parts store that works very well.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a 94 Caprice with the LT1 in it. The Caprices are known to have aux battery terminal issues such as melting and such. To reset the security in GM's I believe you turn the key to the on position until the security light blinks then you should be good. I also know if batteries are acting up it could melt wiring harnesses from overload, and then your alternator from there. Break out the multimeter and check for charge and check the wires to the starter, as they are by the headers.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

It done it again over the weekend. It's not a battery terminal issue. The battery is new and so is the terminals. He tried that turnning the key in the on spot leaveing it like that for 10 min. know light come on during the wait. He turnned the key back then tried to start it.... no power nothing. So once again I went and got a trailer and took his car to his house. One of the guy offerd to switch everything from his car to my friends car to see if it made his car do the same thing. I don't know if he will or not. He asked me what I thought. Thats one thing I will not put my 2 cents in on. That boys car dont do that. I would feel bad if he change out everything with my friend and then is screw something up on his car.

I would love to see him find the problem and get it fixed. GM has checked it out they found nothing. He took it to 2 local speed shop and they found nothing. I was thinking that it might be a dead ground frome something. But the battery is good and dont run down.

Any other Ideals?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

I will say this. The next time this happens bust out the circuit tester. Tap each fuse and see if you are getting power atleast to the fuses. If no then it something in the engine bay stopping the power. Did you check every possible fuseable link? Circuit test all them and make sure you get power on both side of the fuseable link.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by robsls1
I will say this. The next time this happens bust out the circuit tester. Tap each fuse and see if you are getting power atleast to the fuses. If no then it something in the engine bay stopping the power. Did you check every possible fuseable link? Circuit test all them and make sure you get power on both side of the fuseable link.
I dont know if he has checked anything on the new elect. system or not. I just know he went and bought everything new. Not one thing for the old setup was used. all new fuses and relays new wireing harness fuses box new computer new bat. and cables. He replace everything that we could think of and it wasnt cheap it was all OEM GM stuff.

I dont know why I have never thought to bring my volt meter to check out everything out. How would one check the wiring harness plugs?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See, I am an avionics tech on UH-60 and CH-47 helicopters. Whenever we have a problem like this we replace relays that deal with the particular system. In this case I am willing to bet that if nobody found anything, it has to be a wire or a fuse somewhere.

Also, I would be thinking opti if it cranked, but uh... nope... I would start with the starter getting power, since it obviously has a charge and isn't putting power to it or you would hear a click. Gotta start somewhere...

Oh and if you have no lights, I would do the "Big 3" Upgrade to see if it helps...

Last edited by gnasty1521; 10-19-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Mine has done this twice. I go to start the car, 1st time around nothing, its completely dead. I try again and it fires right up. FWIW mine is a 6spd, I was wondering if it was a possible issue with the switch the clutch pedal engages when depressed?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am trying to figure out whether his fuel pump and lights and stuff come on before he goes to crank it. This would really help...