Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the function of EGR???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the function of EGR???

I'm looking to upgrade my LS1 99 Camaro Z28.
I guess a good new intake would be the LS6 intake, correct?

If I've done my research well, there are LS6 intakes WITH and LS6 intakes without the EGR.
Which one do I need as a direct bolt-on and without having any issues likes the engine throwing codes and stuff.
What does an EGR do actually? Why would I want one or why wouldn't I?
Can anyone please explain?

Thnks!!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

The EGR stands for Exhasut Gas Recirculation. What it does is after the car gets up to operating temperatures and at cruising speeds (not wide open throttle), it pulls air from the exhaust manifolds and injects it back into the intake manifold. This may seem a little odd but this actually helps cool the combustion chamber some and reduces the amount of NOx pollution. With the design of the 241 heads and ls6 intake the combustion temps were cool enough and the EGR was not needed. If you dont put it back on the car then it will throw a code, but you're more than likely gonna need a tune anyways so i say trash the EGR and get it tuned out. All that is assuming you dont have emissions checks in your state.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cody161
The EGR stands for Exhasut Gas Recirculation. What it does is after the car gets up to operating temperatures and at cruising speeds (not wide open throttle), it pulls air from the exhaust manifolds and injects it back into the intake manifold. This may seem a little odd but this actually helps cool the combustion chamber some and reduces the amount of NOx pollution. With the design of the 241 heads and ls6 intake the combustion temps were cool enough and the EGR was not needed. If you dont put it back on the car then it will throw a code, but you're more than likely gonna need a tune anyways so i say trash the EGR and get it tuned out. All that is assuming you dont have emissions checks in your state.
pretty much nailed that one on the head!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cody161
Yup, bout right...
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS1 intakes for F body have EGR. LS1 intakes for Corvette sometimes do not.

LS6 intakes never have EGR in either application.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Unless you get an SLP style LS6 intake, then it has the provisions and you'd have to block it off.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

As has been mentioned, the key thing is whether you live in a state that has visual emissions inspection. In that case, you will need the SLP LS6 intake with EGR provision. You can have it turned off, but it has to all be there and appear operational.

In either case, installing an LS6 intake should be considered a "must" mod on a 98-00 car.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Teching In

Does it have any influence powerwise?
Does EGR rob some hp or not at all?

Thanks for the explanation, no questions about that left!

MG
Old 12-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EGR valve introduces exhaust gas back into the incomming fuel charge. it is used to lower combustion heat. In turn NOX is greately reduced. Some engines dont have EGR VALVES. The cam is designed to overlap more to introduce exhaust gas back into the incomming charge. Gm eliminated the EGR on several engines by modifying cam events. Yes it does add to performance it allows the engine to run more timing without KNOCK (ping octane knock)