Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can mount location help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can mount location help

I have a Revextreme catch can and it pulls out a good amount of liquid and such so it works great. The only problem I have with it is that it is so tall that it's a pain in the butt to empty. It is mounted on the passenger side head like they recomended. Anyone else with this can have this problem too? I was thinking about extending the tubing and mounting it possibly right behind the passenger side head light or something? Will this still function properly? If you have re-routed your catch can some where different please provide pics if possible. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from my undrstanding it should work better as it allows the can too cool better in turn allowing more of the oil/ moisture to condense and not get into the intake trac. But given my limited knowledge on them id wait for a few more responses
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transamsam98
from my undrstanding it should work better as it allows the can too cool better in turn allowing more of the oil/ moisture to condense and not get into the intake trac. But given my limited knowledge on them id wait for a few more responses
Thats what I understand as well but would (like you said) get a few more peoples advice.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cooler the better. The distance is not to far to try it there, or the drain is a NPT size theat you could swap out for a 1/4 turn ballcok with a barbed end, and then run a drain tube down to where you can catch it easier. Easy to reah, simple 1/4 turn, and bingo.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just received my RevXtreme Can today. (Finally!)

If you fab something up, be sure to post up with some pics. I had planned to mount it on the Passenger Head as well. (Where the EGR used to be.) But if there is a more suitable location, I'd love to see it.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here you go, start at post #64.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tch-can-4.html
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my setup with the Norris CC, and I consume and smoke WAAAAY less this way at WOT!
It was embarrasing at night screwing around on the Highway doing those Roll racing ( yea I DO IT CAUSE I STILL HAVE A 10bolt) at WOT and looking at your rear view mirror seeing SMOKE all over the car behind you! I still catch the oil and let the Crank case breath. I dont get any oil residue on my heads or engine compartment. As you can see I capped off the nipple on the intake and plugged in a small air breather I found at AutoZone. Ive had it all summer this way and no problems!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Thats exactly what I needed. I remember seeing that post awhile back but looked forever last nite and could'nt find it. Im going to try to mount mine there this weekend.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
The cooler the better. The distance is not to far to try it there, or the drain is a NPT size theat you could swap out for a 1/4 turn ballcok with a barbed end, and then run a drain tube down to where you can catch it easier. Easy to reah, simple 1/4 turn, and bingo.
Where could I find a piece like this? Lowes, Autozone? I might do this along with re-locating it as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

That defeats the PCV system and only releases excess crankcase pressure. It does nothing to flush the nasty byproducts from the crankcase.

If you had smoke issue like you describe you have an internal motor issue. Do a compression test & I'm willing to be $7 is down from the rest & that is where your smoke comes from.

Originally Posted by litle88
Here is my setup with the Norris CC, and I consume and smoke WAAAAY less this way at WOT!
It was embarrasing at night screwing around on the Highway doing those Roll racing ( yea I DO IT CAUSE I STILL HAVE A 10bolt) at WOT and looking at your rear view mirror seeing SMOKE all over the car behind you! I still catch the oil and let the Crank case breath. I dont get any oil residue on my heads or engine compartment. As you can see I capped off the nipple on the intake and plugged in a small air breather I found at AutoZone. Ive had it all summer this way and no problems!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
Where could I find a piece like this? Lowes, Autozone? I might do this along with re-locating it as well.

Any hardware store/Lowes/Home Depot...
Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

yea you might as well just slap that breather on the end of the PCV hose and return that expensive catch can lol

To the OP, I run mine In the space between the battery and the shock tower. I have had no issues with it there, Theres a couple holes in the shock tower where i was able to mount a bracket and not have to drill anything.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by squints88
yea you might as well just slap that breather on the end of the PCV hose and return that expensive catch can lol

To the OP, I run mine In the space between the battery and the shock tower. I have had no issues with it there, Theres a couple holes in the shock tower where i was able to mount a bracket and not have to drill anything.
I will look at that location as well, thanks. By the way does anyone know what size tubeing I would need? I think it's 5/8" but not possitive.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did do a compression test at Straightline, the numbers were great! You loose
The catch can still catches **** so I'm leaving it on so that **** can be stored somewhere and I can empty it. Like I said no more smoke! Car still runs badazz!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by litle88
I did do a compression test at Straightline, the numbers were great! You loose
The catch can still catches **** so I'm leaving it on so that **** can be stored somewhere and I can empty it. Like I said no more smoke! Car still runs badazz!

You can have great compression test #'s and still have an issue. Like you have it it will run great, but if you are not evacuating the harmfull combustion by-products & such from the crankcase, then you will suffer damage over time. The reason it is catching is it is still getting excess pressure run through it & it will have suspended oil that the can will catch, but without a filtered inlet of fresh make-up air, and a vacuum source pulling out the harmful crap, you will only be venting excess pressure the way you have it. 95% of the harmful crap is still re-condensing into your crankcase & contaminating your oil after each cool-down.

It will take a few years before you notice it, but the damage it will cause is substantial and unavoidable without a correct set-up to flush the stuff out.

Lot's of good info on here...just do a search. An oil analysis will show the particulate levels & the acid content of your oil and how it is damaging the internals. Your choice though.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
I will look at that location as well, thanks. By the way does anyone know what size tubeing I would need? I think it's 5/8" but not possitive.
3/8"ID hose
Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted mine on the radiator support just left of the radiator. The hose from the PCV runs under the thottle body and then the hose from the catch can runs under the maf. It's a nice clean set up and works great.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I mounted mine on the radiator support just left of the radiator. The hose from the PCV runs under the thottle body and then the hose from the catch can runs under the maf. It's a nice clean set up and works great.
thats an idea. Do you possibly have any pics?

Quick Reply: Catch can mount location help