Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name that liquid in my catch can (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Name that liquid in my catch can (pics)

I have been pulling this liquid out of my catch can (revextreme) since I purchased it about 3 months ago or so and was told it was just condensation but this kinda seems too extreme to be condensation? It kinda worries me. The amount drained in this jar is from about 775 miles worth of driving without emptying the catch can. It led me to believe there was a head gasket leak because of so much of this comeing out of the can but I did a coolant system compresion check with the pump thing on the radiator and it held pressure just fine. My radiator is still full of coolant as well as my coolant resevoir. I would think if all that liquid it was pulling out was coolant then I would definatly have noticed the coolant resevoir being low. If I pull the oil dipstick out it shows no signs of water in the oil. The oil fill cap will have a few drops of water under it and am about possitive that is condensation. It is really cold right now with the average temp probably around 40 or so. The average trip in the car is about 20 miles or so with a occasional long trip. It sits all week and driven on only on most weekends about 300 miles a month or so. I know the brownish liquid on top in the jar is oil which would be normal but what the heck is all that other liquid? It is driving me nuts!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

it looks just like whats in my catch can. its condensation/oil. i have an aluminum block. every time i drive mine i get about an ounce of that crap in my catch can. i have dumped it after the motor warms up and continued driving and wont get any more in my catch can until i do another cold start up. you should try this just to see what happens.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:19 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like beer dude. Your car been going out without you?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Looks like beer dude. Your car been going out without you?
haha, I hope not!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jomomma
it looks just like whats in my catch can. its condensation/oil. i have an aluminum block. every time i drive mine i get about an ounce of that crap in my catch can. i have dumped it after the motor warms up and continued driving and wont get any more in my catch can until i do another cold start up. you should try this just to see what happens.
Interesting. I have a alluminum block as well. I will give that a shot.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 AM
10 Second Club

i get the exact same **** in my cc.... its just oil/condensation.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Teching In

I just moved to Milwaukee and I've noticed I get a lot more of this oil & water in my catch can than when I was in Los Angeles. Certainly makes sense since LA is a desert, but I'm surprise how much more I get here. There was hardly of this crap, usually just got oil, when I was in LA but here I was getting lots... until I put my car away for the winter a couple weeks ago
Old 12-13-2009, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

how is your catch can routed in your pcv system? are you still running a pcv?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1psycho
how is your catch can routed in your pcv system? are you still running a pcv?
It is definatly hooked up right. The catch can has a built in pcv.

Originally Posted by mathia
I just moved to Milwaukee and I've noticed I get a lot more of this oil & water in my catch can than when I was in Los Angeles. Certainly makes sense since LA is a desert, but I'm surprise how much more I get here. There was hardly of this crap, usually just got oil, when I was in LA but here I was getting lots... until I put my car away for the winter a couple weeks ago
Well I guess it is just condensation then from what you and everyone else are saying. It makes sense that both of us will be getting more "condensation" in our catch can because the colder it is outside the more water will be pulled to a hot surface (motor) from what I understand. I just thought it was kinda extreme with so much being in my can.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

after seeing this im glad i just ordered my catch can.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cabotgsxr
after seeing this im glad i just ordered my catch can.
Very true. Im just glad im getting all this crap out of my motor!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont see any water at the bottom of jar. (water is heavier than oil). so i think u'r ok

but i dont know what that junk is on top in jar, lol

my catch can collects only oil so who knows
Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01'SSLSX
i dont see any water at the bottom of jar. (water is heavier than oil). so i think u'r ok

but i dont know what that junk is on top in jar, lol

my catch can collects only oil so who knows
The stuff in the top of the jar is water (condensation) mixed with oil I believe. Hence the milky brown color.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default where's it mounted?

I'm seeing this as well. Smells and looks like an oil/water mix. The catch can used to be mounted to the passenger side cylinder head and would get hot along with the engine. Mounted there I never saw this type of fluid in the catch can, only oil. Since it's been relocated off the engine I've been getting lots of water. It's been cold here as well so I guess it's consistent with other guys. Maybe I'll just put it back on the engine and call it a day.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by white01ss
The catch can used to be mounted to the passenger side cylinder head and would get hot along with the engine. Mounted there I never saw this type of fluid in the catch can, only oil.
Mine is on the pass cyl head and I only see oil.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Teching In

RevExtreme on mine with same fluid coming out,also have LS6 valley plate
Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The colder it is, the more moisture it will collect (it will keep most as steam when the can is mounted on the head as long as it is run enough and let it pass through).
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Tracy

is it better to mount it on the head to keep the water as vapor? or to mount it on the side to let it condense?

ps...you'll be getting an order for a CC from me soon...yay 3 paychecks in Jan 2010!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184
Tracy

is it better to mount it on the head to keep the water as vapor? or to mount it on the side to let it condense?

ps...you'll be getting an order for a CC from me soon...yay 3 paychecks in Jan 2010!!!

Here in FL and other warm states (at least it USED to be warm) the cooler the better, but they do fine on the cylinder head. In Northern cold climates I would say the cyl head. The water as vapor pulled through does not affect performance and is fine going through the combustion chamber, but if it is cold enough to congeal or freeze, you will have draining issues and you don't want a full can.

Quick Reply: Name that liquid in my catch can (pics)