Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crap! another magnaflow fitment issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crap! another magnaflow fitment issue

So I just finished installing my ARH (went in easily), catted y (didnt go in that easily), and magnaflow catback. The over axel pipe is pretty much touching the body and upper panhard bar. This is when I have the pipe tightened down with that factory hanger and it wont allow it to move any more. Pics coming soon.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Here we can see how close it is to the upper panhard bar

Here we can see that it is touching the body.

This is when I have it bolted to that factory hanger, the one with the 13mm nut on it.

Shoud I just leave it or is there some things I can do about it? Will it cause any problems?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

how was fitment before the ARH / catted-y install? you will defintley get some vibration issues with the looks of things. have you turned the slip-fit either way to see any improvement in clearance?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
how was fitment before the ARH / catted-y install? you will defintley get some vibration issues with the looks of things. have you turned the slip-fit either way to see any improvement in clearance?

I installed it after I did the arhs. And the that is as far as the slip fit will go
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been about a year ago, a friend (Dave) and I installed Jet Hot LT's, Jet Hot ORY, and Magnaflow Catback on his 98 Z28.

During installation, we noticed the Overaxle Pipe was extremely close to the Panhard Bar. We'd had his car torn apart for some time waiting for his damn ORY to show up, so we were very anxious to finally get it completed. So instead of taking the time to make adjustments, we kinda just said "good enough" and hoped for the best.

Sure enough, it vibrates under accelleration. Not terribly, but its noticeable enough that if it were my car I'd have addressed the problem by now.

Anyways, what I've noticed upon further inspection is that it is the inside part of the Overaxle Pipe that is past the axle (more towards the rear of the car) that is touching the Panhard.

I think when we installed the Y-pipe, we slid it too far forward over the collectors of the LT's, therefore pulling the remaining catback too far forward as well. So I believe the simpliest solution would to be loosen the clamps at the collectors and slide the Y-pipe and Catback towards the rear of the car and away from the panhard.

Sorry for the lengthy explaination, but this may be the same problem you're experiencing. I wanted to be as thorough as I could be with a possible solution. I hope this helps.

Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had kinda the same thing with my mag on my last 2nd ls1. i made my own vibration isolators around the pipe. it stoped the metal to metal vibrations
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

yep, same problems with mine. I'm waiting for my header install, and then I'm going to have true duals or a cat back fitted to the car
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Launching!

would it be safe to not use that factory hanger with the bolt?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

my magnaflow over axle pipe was touching the panhard bar as well before i could get under the car to fix it...i notice the banging and vibrating had stopped.. it bent the over axle pipe slightly itself but i had to slightly bend the heat sheild.. hoping everything goes ok when i get my ARH lt's and catted y, in the next month or 2.. praying for a good tax return
Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Launching!

after hours of adjusting, an explosion (literally), a fire, a hair cut, and slightly burnt eyebrows later, I finally got that over axle pipe adjusted right and away from the body panel but it is still very close to the panhard bar. I think i will have to get a panhard bar relocation to fix that.