Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS pump issue

It looks like I blew the PS pump seal or some ****, we were gingerly moving it out of the garage when I noticed a trail of purple fluid(RP PS fluid). I tightened up the feed line because there was some wetness around it. Tried to move it out again, then there was a noise, kinda like a pop, then PS fluid was getting spun around by the pulley. Im not sure what that issue is or what caused it. Could there have been air in the lines and the pressure popped the seal? I had filled the reservoir prior to starting it. All the fittings and hoses look ok.

BTW I have streel braided PS lines.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Also, PS pump has been off the car for about 3 months for my turbo build. Lines were also removed and the PS thing down below was pretty much dry. Could it have been an excess build up for pressure from the air left in the lines?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you didn't bleed the system, that's what your problem is. Whenever the PS system is cracked open, you have to go through a bleeding procedure to get the air out of the lines. This entails:

-Putting the front end in the air
-Fill reservoir to proper level
-ENGINE OFF, turn the steering wheel lock to lock 20 times. As in, turn all the way to each lock, 20 a piece
-Put the car back down, repeat above procedure one more time with the engine RUNNING
-Fill reservoir as needed. Have someone stand over the reservoir with the cap open while you turn the wheel a few more times. Check to see if there are any more air bubbles. If so, repeat process as long as needed until there's no more air bubbles.

If you didn't do what I just listed, you probably blew some **** up.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, Ill remember that on my next pump!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to keep an eye on the rack too. It's not safe from danger if you've got a ton of air in the lines.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Would it be more at risk had I used the steering? The tires probably didnt even travel as much as lock to lock.

I got the pump off, is there anyway to check to see where its leaking. Looks pretty sealed aside from the connections to the reservoir and the seal behind the pulley.