Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported tb

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ported tb

Just finished this on I did for a member. Took about 2 1/2 hours by hand. All of the mods you can do the a stock tb.

-Bump stop for 100% throttle
-half shaft for added flow
-port and mild polish to increase inner diameter to match butterfly.

Some people like to fill in the idle control area to help smooth the incoming air, but I believe this is minimal if any for performance and I really don't feel comfrontable having filler in my tb.

Its really nice what you can do with these stock parts on these cars. I should have taken before pics as well but I didn't have the camera handy and I needed to get this done for the customer.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job, looks amazing
Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

I've been porting throttle bodies for years for local guys and for my own personal vehicles. You left a HUGE amount of material that should be removed for best results. You did a good job of keeping the material that you did remove even though.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
You left a HUGE amount of material that should be removed for best results. You did a good job of keeping the material that you did remove even though.
+1 to this, my front edge is basically knife-edged plus a lot more material taken off the front in comparison.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I've been porting throttle bodies for years for local guys and for my own personal vehicles. You left a HUGE amount of material that should be removed for best results. You did a good job of keeping the material that you did remove even though.
Yeah I was gonna comment, Ive done many LS1 and other makes of throttlebodies so its not my first go around. There is a ton of material left to be taken out in some crucial areas to help increase flow IMO. And im what I consider a safe porter, i never go so deep I go through the casting but there definately alot of room there. To be honest when I opened the page and looked at the pics it looked like someone just did the halfshaft mod and shined the TB up a bit with some rouge...
Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can please explain how aditional porting will benefit. I remove the lip that is smaller then the blade itself, then I radias it out from there. There is alot of material that can be grinded out, but what is the benefit if the butterfly is only so big? IMO its like having a 80mm tb, then swapping out you 85mm maf for a 10mm maf, yeah its bigger but the butteryfly is the smallest part.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

IMO Its not all about just making it as big as the blade but radiusing the curvature in the TB on a bigger pattern overall to help promote more flow...Look at the big name companies who sell hand ported and CNC ported TB's...They are tried and tested for years and show great results. They look alot different than yours in the amount of material taken out and where. You do great work it looks like, but I think you quit too soon
Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I appriciate the input. Maybe if there were some air flow results with mine vs a fully cnc'd version.

I believe this tb will perform well, I did the same on my car and it went 10.93 @ 123 with bolt-ons and home ported ls6 heads with a tv2 cam. 424 hp.

I made sure everything in this tb was smooth with no bumps before the blade.

I wish I have my own dyno so I could do before and after results.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have another one lined up and I think I will try to get more before and after shots of the entire job.

Thanks again for all the replies and input.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Looks OK man, dont sweat it. If ya dont wanna take anymore material out dont. I was known to be one of the most "aggressive" on the TB ports so its more on porting style more than anything.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking you could have taken a lot more material off too. Here is the one I did for me.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks good but like the others said there is alot more that can be removed.