Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing PS pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing PS pulley

I have a bad power steering leak and I'm trying to get the fluid reservior off. I'm trying to get the pulley off so I can get to the bolts that hold on the reservior. The pulley is held on by a hex-headed bolt and I'm having a very hard time getting it off, before I tear anything up I wanted to find out is it reverse threaded?

Also, any tips on keeping the pulley from spinning?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are u using a PS pump pulley puller? thats the easiest way to get it off and u can rent one and just about any parts store
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't know there is such a thing, but I'll defintely rent one now!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by colby72olds
I didn't know there is such a thing, but I'll defintely rent one now!
haha yes there is. makes things a WHOLE LOT EASIER than how u were attempting it. threads into the hole and grips the lip on the center of the pulley

u can rent one at o'rielly's, autozone, advance auto, pep boys etc. just about any parts store
Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet! I'll try it out tomorrow....thanks man.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Sweet! I'll try it out tomorrow....thanks man.
no prob bro. let me know if u need help and ill guide u thru it
Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's pretty easy. I rented one from Advance Auto Parts and it came with instructions on how to use it... That reminds me, I never took it back...
Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by InsaneDomestics
Yeah it's pretty easy. I rented one from Advance Auto Parts and it came with instructions on how to use it... That reminds me, I never took it back...
ya, they will come with instructions also. haha keep it, may come in handy. im sure they cost more than what u paid to rent it
Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes the pully does not "bolt" to the pump, its pressed on, no way to get it off without the P/S Pully puller tool.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nemss1
ya, they will come with instructions also. haha keep it, may come in handy. im sure they cost more than what u paid to rent it
Yeah I'm sure they are too. My buddy is the manager and he let me "rent" it for free lol. I guess we both forgot that I borrowed it.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by InsaneDomestics
Yeah I'm sure they are too. My buddy is the manager and he let me "rent" it for free lol. I guess we both forgot that I borrowed it.
hey, another OKie. i just noticed haha
Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys he still needs to get the bolt out and from looking at the way the accessories turn I think it is reverse threaded....
Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Guys he still needs to get the bolt out and from looking at the way the accessories turn I think it is reverse threaded....
That's what I was thinking. I'm about to go rent the pulley remover and try it out.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey, another OKie. i just noticed haha
Yeah, I dunno if that's good or bad lol

That's what I was thinking. I'm about to go rent the pulley remover and try it out.
It's been forever since I've done it and I'd have to do it again to be able to explain accurately but the Tool with come with Instructions (should) and from there you can figure it out.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
If you mean the internal threads inside the shaft, they are standard RH 3/8"-16 coarse threads.

The pulley comes off alot easier than it goes on. Be sure you have the right setup to get it back on. I use a 6" piece of grade 8 threaded stud with a nut welded on one end, several washers, and a "free" nut. Thread the free nut onto the shaft about 3" or so, grease up the washers (and pulley bore) and put the washers against the free nut, set the pulley in place, screw the rod into the shaft as far as possible (at least 3/4"). Hold the welded nut with one wrench and use a second wrench on the free nut to pull the pulley into place. It's a hard pull, be sure you keep checking your alignment so you don't pull it too far.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

^Thanks man, but I wasn't able to get it off. I stripped out the bolt that holds the pulley on, so I just took the alternator off and did it from underneath. It wasn't what I wanted to do but didn't feel like messing with a stripped bolt.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Thanks man, but I wasn't able to get it off. I stripped out the bolt that holds the pulley on, so I just took the alternator off and did it from underneath. It wasn't what I wanted to do but didn't feel like messing with a stripped bolt.

I started this today too. Got to the bolts behind the pulley (PIA) and popped the lines off the rack and got it out as a unit pulley/resevoir/pump. Started ******* with the pulley and realized there is no bolt holding it on it is interference fit. Sooooo put the pulley puller on and started bearing down on it and SNAP...... the pulley broke Cheap GM bastards made the ******* pulley outta plastic Got on the phone with Turn One and a nice billet one is on the way to my house as we speak. They look great and are designed so you can get to the bolts through the pulley so this should be a 15minute on/15 minute off job in the future. Anybody else have a love/hate relationship with GM?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

not recommended, but if you decide on running manual steering, u could just break the PS pulley off and have access to the bolts. ask me how i know, i did the same thing, got frustrated and just broke the pulley off but i went manual steering
Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

(SOMbitch):It's good to know that the pulley can be removed without removing the bolt. I was a little eerie while trying to keep the pulley from spinning, I actually broke off a piece of it...plastic POS.
I'm going to have to redo this very soon. All I was able to do was clean the underside of reservoir and lines real good and wait for it to leak some more so I can track the leak. I guess I'll just plan on buying a new pulley when the time comes. How much did you pay for a new one?

Also, did you fix a PS leak...what all did you replace if so?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

not recommended, but if you decide on running manual steering, u could just break the PS pulley off and have access to the bolts. ask me how i know, i did the same thing, got frustrated and just broke the pulley off but i went manual steering
Now that I know it will more than likely break anyways, that's probably what I'll do. I'm going to keep PS but I'll just press a new pulley on.