Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV vs Breathers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV vs Breathers

So my mind is numb after searching LS1Tech about this topic. I'm leaning in the direction of Valve Cover Breather(s) vs Catch Can or Home made PCV scenarios.

Keep oil out of the intake- bottom line!

Having trouble finding pix of breathers. Speed Inc IZM0003? Something else? Anyone?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a pic of mine from my album. its a K&N breather, same one that comes with the CAI for the AIR tube, but i deleted AIR and made good use for the breather. it was the same size as the plastic PCV tube, so i cut the top part of the tube and slide on my breather

Old 02-14-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to be better off with a PCV system and a catch can as long as it's not a blown car for a couple reasons...

You're going to want to pull a vacuum on the crankcase to get all of that nasty blow by out,

You're also going to want to give the crankcase a fresh air source to help keep the air in the crankcase clean.

Switch over to the LS6 style of PCV system and incorporate a quality catch can.

I wouldn't really lean towards using a PCV setup with a breather, as you are essentially creating a vacuum leak and allowing unmetered air into the engine. I did it when I had my first LS years back and was having idle problems and trouble with the tune being consistent. Tuner figured it out and told me that was a no-no. Took the breather away and everything cleared up...

You can run breathers or you can run a PCV setup, but I wouldn't do both.

Last edited by 98RedBird; 02-14-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do a combination of both if you absolutely want zero oil in the intake. I got a catch can and i got a push in breather in place of the oil filler cap (still need to vent the driver side valve cover) and so far my ws6 is running top notch with no oil consumption.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the need to vent the d/s valve cover? If it is still hooked up in conjunction with the pass side and ran into the t/b and the pass side is vented whats the purpose on venting the d/s? Just wondering.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krissoto
Why the need to vent the d/s valve cover? If it is still hooked up in conjunction with the pass side and ran into the t/b and the pass side is vented whats the purpose on venting the d/s? Just wondering.
no, its not hooked up. i removed my PCV completely. and i have a breather for my oil fill also
Old 02-14-2010, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine is setup like this..

I have been thinking about installing a Breather to help it get more clean air through the Crank Case..might do it where the PCV Valve is..since the Valley Cover is the main Vacuum point.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run 2 breathers and capped all the ports on the intake and TB.

Quick Reply: PCV vs Breathers