Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding cat to ORY

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding cat to ORY

Basically the car sounds great, but it's a little loud and gets old driving it every day. I'm not 18 anymore and don't need it this loud while driving to work in traffic. I'm looking for the cheapest solution to reduce the noise, while keeping it sounding good. My idea was to add 1 Magnaflow bullet style cat where the Y pipe and intermediate pipe meet up.

Is there any reason this woudln't work vs. adding two cats to the front of the Y pipe? I'm looking at using part# 59959, 3" in/out, 8" long, 4" max diameter.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

i had the same problem with my car. i added 2 high flow thunderbolt cats to my ory and i couldnt be happier. it completely eliminated the rasp that you get with lt's,ory and lm1. cut down on some drone also. heres a cold start vid of it with the cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDYDXfTPwJs
Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your car actually sounds close to how mine currently sounds with no cats. I'm currently running a Hooker catback so it's not raspy or LOUD by most standards. It's just a little loud for my tastes since I commute to and from work 5x per week with it. I see people adding 2 cats to their ORY, but I'm wondering if I can just add 1 cat to the intermediate pipe instead.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How about putting a restrictive bullet muffler in the i-pipe?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
How about putting a restrictive bullet muffler in the i-pipe?
Yes, the other option I was thinking about was adding a quieter bullet muffler like a spiral flow to the i-pipe. I am just uncertain which option would be better. My thinking is that adding a cat would quiet the exhaust while keeping the same tone, while the spiral flow would also quiet the exhaust, but probably also change it's sound. I'd appreciate feedback from people who have tried either of these.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also wonder if the one cat would be deemed a big restriction on the system, opposed to the 2 cats closer to the collectors.

Also would like to know!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spiral flows sound great after an ORY, however have shown a considerable loss in power on several occasions.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm I have not looked into the power loss from spiral flows, but don't really want to lose more than a few hp. I've seen that quality cats only lose a couple hp, so I'd rather go that route then, but was looking for a cheaper solution. I'd still like to know if putting 1 cat in the i-pipe would be a major restriction.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01formula6
Hmm I have not looked into the power loss from spiral flows, but don't really want to lose more than a few hp. I've seen that quality cats only lose a couple hp, so I'd rather go that route then, but was looking for a cheaper solution. I'd still like to know if putting 1 cat in the i-pipe would be a major restriction.
That's about where I am at.
I have a 3" custom ORY with a FM-merge, to a POWERSTICK then dumped under the car.
The powerstick does not lose too much power and sounds okay however I do want to add two 3" cats to the ORY.
I think it will sound much better.

I have nothing factual, but I would advise to go with two cats on the Y.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
That's about where I am at.
I have a 3" custom ORY with a FM-merge, to a POWERSTICK then dumped under the car.
The powerstick does not lose too much power and sounds okay however I do want to add two 3" cats to the ORY.
I think it will sound much better.

I have nothing factual, but I would advise to go with two cats on the Y.
After thinking about it, I agree with you that 2 cats in the Y is probably better. I like the way the car sounds, so I don't want to mess with adding another muffler. I'm currently using the Pacesetter Y, which is a POS. So if I'm adding cats, I might just look into a different catted Y instead of modding my current one. Of course doing things the right way is also the most expensive way, lol. Good luck with your setup.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01formula6
Yes, the other option I was thinking about was adding a quieter bullet muffler like a spiral flow to the i-pipe. I am just uncertain which option would be better. My thinking is that adding a cat would quiet the exhaust while keeping the same tone, while the spiral flow would also quiet the exhaust, but probably also change it's sound. I'd appreciate feedback from people who have tried either of these.
I added a magnaflow bullet muffler to my I-pipe. It was a straight threw design so I knew it wouldn't quiet the car down too much. It was just enough to bring the tone down a bit while making it sound deeper and eliminate any rasp that I had. I am also running a magnaflow catback, which is known to be somewhat quiet under 2k.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
I added a magnaflow bullet muffler to my I-pipe. It was a straight threw design so I knew it wouldn't quiet the car down too much. It was just enough to bring the tone down a bit while making it sound deeper and eliminate any rasp that I had. I am also running a magnaflow catback, which is known to be somewhat quiet under 2k.
Thanks for the info, that is very good to know. Though my current Y setup sucks, I wasn't ready to drop 350 on a new catted setup. My Hooker is also quiet my most standards, but it sounds like that Magnaflow bullet did just what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Adding cat to ORY