Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Future Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Future Setup

Okay, since I have a lot of time to think about ****, I've put together a full exhaust system that I'd like to have purchased and installed by the end of this year. This is what I came up with. This system is for right now a basically stock car, but in the future I have much higher goals, as in the 600ish range. Please let me know if something won't work or if there's a better option.

TSP 1 7/8 Headers
Mufflex ORY w/ Flowmaster 4" Merge
2 Electronic cutouts welded on merge (on opposite sides to emulate X-pipe congifuration)
keep current SLP Loudmouth catback (replace muffler with Dynomax bullet)

Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

elaborate on the cut out sitiuation....MS paint drawing perhaps?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bww3588
elaborate on the cut out sitiuation....MS paint drawing perhaps?
Well, I'm not 100% sure if I can pull it off, since i'm not sure if I have room underneath. Basically you have the flowmaster 4" merge, and instead of welding a single cutout before the muffler, have two on the merge. I'll throw something together for you to look at.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

from the sound of it, i think you would benefit more by putting the cutouts up by the headers in the y pipe insted of the merge.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

from the sound of it, i think you would benefit more by putting the cutouts up by the headers in the y pipe insted of the merge.
The reason I thought about setting them where they are is because I've always heard that it's better for the opposite sides of the exhaust to merge to equalize the pressure between the two pipes. So would't having the cutouts before the merge make a pressure-less "open headers" issue, and actually cause the overall setup to lose power?

P.S. This is what I had in mind (not to scale)
Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

well, your not going to "lose" power, it depends on your goals. you will pick up top end with wide open headers (or cutouts directly after the headers) but you will lose a little bit of low end, however, with cutouts, its on demand. i honestly cant see any significant gain by putting the cutout there, i can only see hacking up a perfectly good, expensive merge and having clearence issues.

just my opinion, i would put them in the best location for clearence and fit in the ORY before the merge, after the collectors. preferably about 16-24 inches back from the o2's.

on my setup, i will have the cutouts right after the headers, before the x pipe. (i have TD's with flowmaster delta force race mufflers.)
Old 06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

well, your not going to "lose" power, it depends on your goals. you will pick up top end with wide open headers (or cutouts directly after the headers) but you will lose a little bit of low end, however, with cutouts, its on demand. i honestly cant see any significant gain by putting the cutout there, i can only see hacking up a perfectly good, expensive merge and having clearence issues.

just my opinion, i would put them in the best location for clearence and fit in the ORY before the merge, after the collectors. preferably about 16-24 inches back from the o2's.

on my setup, i will have the cutouts right after the headers, before the x pipe. (i have TD's with flowmaster delta force race mufflers.)
Okay, I see where you're coming from now. Now which is kinda irrelevant, How manageable is your x-pipe setup? I read somewhere that x-pipes aren't friendly with 3 point subframe connectors.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

i dont have 3pts, i have a cage, so i didnt worry about SFC's, plus the fact i have a hard top. but anyways, from what ive seen, the 3pts bolt up where the tunnel brace went originally, which comes off when the TSP TD's go on, and dont interfere at all.