Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine "dieseling"

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine "dieseling"

Hey guys, my 00 Z28 is dieseling and it has been doing so for a couple of months now. I didn't realize it was a problem until a buddy of mine pointed it out. I've got Pacesetter LT's, TSP Duals, SLP lid, with rear O2's removed, EGR/AIR removed, and the cats deleted. When the work was done, I had NGK TR55's put in all except for one. The one NGK that wasn't installed was crooked, so they took the cleanest stock plug and put it in the easy accessible plug. I haven't had the daylight to go rummaging through my engine to do my plug, so I just ordered an entire new set and planned on doing them whenever I get a day off. I was just wondering if my lack of exhaust components along with not being tuned is the problem or if it could be that single stock (68k mile) plug?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If by "dieseling" you mean the engine literally continues to run after the key is turned off the most likely cause is a leaky fuel injector that continues to flow after the ignition is off. A bad motor mount can allow the engine to shake after shut and produce a similar effect, but that is not true dieseling.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darkman
If by "dieseling" you mean the engine literally continues to run after the key is turned off the most likely cause is a leaky fuel injector that continues to flow after the ignition is off. A bad motor mount can allow the engine to shake after shut and produce a similar effect, but that is not true dieseling.
It's true dieseling. If I had a leaky injector I'd not only see it on my intake, but I'd smell it too. I probably just need a tune as my computer might be all whacked out with lack of exhaust components D:

Last edited by RikkiTorment; 06-17-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well a diesel runs on detonation. I hope that is not what you meant.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Well a diesel runs on detonation. I hope that is not what you meant.
+1, what AFRs are you seeing? What octane do you run?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NAhookup
+1, what AFRs are you seeing? What octane do you run?
I'm running on stock tune, and I use Sunoco 93.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Teching In

Wish I could be of more help, I haven't tinkered with LS1 cars too often more with turbo 4 cylinders. Do you mind pulling the plugs and taking pictures of the ground strap on your plugs to see what kind of timing marks you are seeing, running condition as well?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NAhookup
Wish I could be of more help, I haven't tinkered with LS1 cars too often more with turbo 4 cylinders. Do you mind pulling the plugs and taking pictures of the ground strap on your plugs to see what kind of timing marks you are seeing, running condition as well?
No problem starting up, or running. Just sounds like *** when I turn it off lol I'll try to find some time to pull the plugs, I bought Champion Double Platinums to put in when I get around to it.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
It's true dieseling. If I had a leaky injector I'd not only see it on my intake, but I'd smell it too. I probably just need a tune as my computer might be all whacked out with lack of exhaust components D:
If you have a leaky fuel injector you will neither see it or smell it. The leaky fuel injector simply drips fuel inside the intake, some of which is burned by the dieseling. On a fuel injected engine nothing related to the igniton system, which is off during true dieseling (as opposed to pre-ignition or detonation), can have anything to do with it.

Quick Reply: Engine "dieseling"