Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long tubes installed. what sensor is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default long tubes installed. what sensor is this?

so i just got done installing my pacesetter ceramic coated long tubes. install went pretty well. i did however manage to break a sensor while i was putting the driver side header in place. its in the cylinder head right next to the cylinder #1 primary.

i managed to plug it back together but its still loose. so everything was fine when i was driving around tonight with open headers. after i went WOT and slowed down my car kept dying when i would give it gas. i pulled over to take a look.

we could smell fuel but could not find a leak. tried jumping the car still not starting. i found that the plug came undone so i put it back in and started the car up like nothing was wrong. what is this sensor??? why did i smell gas when i tried to start the car?

i will get pics sometime tomoro
Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the coolant temp sensor.

You're smelling gas because the car is running rich with the headers. You need to get it tuned. The stock PCM's are programmed to dump fuel into the exhaust at low rpm to cool off the cats, which will now be dumping raw fuel into your exhaust with no cats to sop it up.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Damian

You're smelling gas because the car is running rich with the headers. You need to get it tuned. The stock PCM's are programmed to dump fuel into the exhaust at low rpm to cool off the cats, which will now be dumping raw fuel into your exhaust with no cats to sop it up.
thats the first thing i thought of but is there not a difference between a "rich" smell and the smell of gasoline? it was deffinitely gas i was smelling.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:57 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a difference. Maybe I misunderstood you.

If you're smelling raw gas, then you could have a fuel leak. Check the fuel rail and fuel line where the quick connect is. That's the only area that you should have been near while installing headers that had anything to do with fuel. Also, if you disconnected the fuel line from the rail during your install, it's possible you could just be smelling left over gas that spilled out.

Either way, I'd find where your smell is coming from before driving the car anymore.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

There is a difference. Maybe I misunderstood you.

If you're smelling raw gas, then you could have a fuel leak. Check the fuel rail and fuel line where the quick connect is. That's the only area that you should have been near while installing headers that had anything to do with fuel. Also, if you disconnected the fuel line from the rail during your install, it's possible you could just be smelling left over gas that spilled out.

Either way, I'd find where your smell is coming from before driving the car anymore.
yeah i already checked that. but is it possible (and bare with me on this) that i could be smelling unburnt gas from me just trying to start the car. i know that fuel is inside the engine but is there any way i am smelling it from the open headers?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Launching!

the coolant temp sensor shouldn't of had any affect on the car starting, I broke mine last week re installing my headers and it didn't affect starting the car, just kicked on the fans.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVAP diverter?? That would explain the fuel smell and would cause a vacuum leak. Black plastic sensor lookin thing tee'd from the fuel line to aft the throttle body (intake side.)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a new coolant temp sensor. If its not working your PCM with think its -40*F outside and therefore dump a ton of fuel to the car all the time.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Get a new coolant temp sensor. If its not working your PCM with think its -40*F outside and therefore dump a ton of fuel to the car all the time.
ok anyone know the part number or how much they are? is it easy to install?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000***camaro***ss
ok anyone know the part number or how much they are? is it easy to install?
just google ls1 coolant sensor, I picked mine up at napa for $12 and all you do is quickly unscrew the old one and put the new one in and use a wrench or deep well socket to thread it in, remember do this quicky as the coolant will come out.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics would help..
Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

looking standing in front of the car.look down to your right behind the power steering reservoir.under #1 coil wire just in front of #1 primary header sticking out of the cyl.

see it.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 35th SS
looking standing in front of the car.look down to your right behind the power steering reservoir.under #1 coil wire just in front of #1 primary header sticking out of the cyl.

see it.
yeah i know in the original post i said i knew where it was i just didnt know the name for it. but its all good i fixed it and no more problems. also i did another WOT run today and no more problems with it staying running and everythings good. thanks guys