Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid Delete options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lid Delete options?

I'm starting to think the LT1 type rad support would look a bit cleaner. or an FIPK type rad support and just ditching the lid altogether.

I thought of an easy way to delete the lid, though... .. Install a turbo kit..

But seriously... Are there any real options?? I like the FIPK and the MTI lid, but I guess I'm just looking for something new.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about this too. A nice polished or black metal support would look better than that plastic stack of crap right there in the front. Lids always fit horribly anyway. Since I don't have a functioning hood scoop on this Z28 I may just go ahead and dump it and then try and make something with an elbow that picks up down low. Filter covered ofcourse.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

To be honest I envy how cool the air yalls lids pick up compared to the elbow setup I run, not to mention how easy it is for you fbody people to do good ram air.

I have tried mounting my filter so low an inch hung below the bottom of the car and I still had IAT temps 10* higher than my buddies trans am, it also showed me zero track gains.

In this summer heat the IAT regularly reach in excess of 130* even at highway speed.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Yeah it's gettin hot here too.. Gonne be 109* today.. uugh.. Driving the truck though.

Not sure. I already smoothed and cleared the rad support. Just looking for a fresh look I guess. Although I heard that the FIPK is more of a dyno intake and not the best for street use, but in a way I don't really care right now.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread may give you some ideas for a CAI setups. I wanna ditch the lid to just for something different.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...l#post13071546
Old 06-29-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Veteran

^ I like some of those, and some are really rigged. The TA on the last page has it done right, as far as a ram air mod. I've been thinking about a vic jr intake and the low profile elbow, but I'd like a 90mm TB on it though. Don't feel like cutting my cowl.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:16 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not delete the lid unless you have a WS6 with the baffles removed. It WILL slow your car down.

Lids protect the filter from sucking in pure hot air from the engine bay. An open filter element does not. I've seen several Z28's/TA's/SS's slow down trying to use an open filter style CAI. The only cars that benefit from it are the WS6's, which have the closest thing to "true" ram air.

Don't buy the hype.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

just curious..I know these ram air kits really shine on the track and not the dyno..But was wondering if someone here who has not done the free ram air mod and install a chris1313 or sux2bu set up actually gain on a dyno as well
Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've deemed the "sealed" ram air stuff to be an absolute waste of time. Especially if you're blocking any air in front of the radiator. Unless my testing, a lot of what you'll see on the internet are back to back tests with the sealer ram air but on different days at the track. That is not an accurate way to test ANYTHING. I've seen a 2-3 tenth variance on the same car just between one week at the track. I've tested the sealed FTRA and another custom sealed ram air system AT the track, and it yielded marginal results. Not to mention the cars ran hotter.

From Volant, K&N, and everything else under the sun I've tried it. Bottom line: If you have a WS6, you can use the ram air kits with great results. If you don't, use a lid with the bottom cut out for the free ram air.