Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are open headers harmful?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default are open headers harmful?

I installed my pacesetter ceramic coated long tubes a week ago. It has been open since then. It is loud, but i was pulled over a few days ago for my window tint and the cop didnt mention anything about the sound. I am pretty light on the throttle so i do not get a ticket for the sound.

It smells rich. I have heard that running rich burns the o2 sensors. how long are my o2's going to last? they are the bosch corvette PN 13111 sensors. I tried buying a foot long pipe extension for the collector to keep some of the open air away from the sensor.

Pretty much the only thing i am worried about is if this is harmful to the car? I will be getting TSP duals soon and a tune sometime after that.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will burn the o2s up. Mine last 1 1/2 weeks driving the car less than normal because it sounded like complete **** and was way too loud (ms4 cam).
Old 07-04-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Problem is the computer is miss reading the sensors because they are too close to the exit of the exhaust while your engine is firing its also sucking up small bits of air in the headers which is fooling the sensors. Take tubing and have that tube come off the open headers about one foot and you should be better. Also i would have the tube pointed down to sound better and to keep the heat, and fumes off the car.

EDIT: Sorry didn't read the hole thread - see that you have already tried that.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
You will burn the o2s up. Mine last 1 1/2 weeks driving the car less than normal because it sounded like complete **** and was way too loud (ms4 cam).
ok is there anything i can do to fix it temporarily? why is it running rich and what do i need to do to fix it? a tune or my duals?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Problem is the computer is miss reading the sensors because they are too close to the exit of the exhaust while your engine is firing its also sucking up small bits of air in the headers which is fooling the sensors. Take tubing and have that tube come off the open headers about one foot and you should be better. Also i would have the tube pointed down to sound better and to keep the heat, and fumes off the car.

EDIT: Sorry didn't read the hole thread - see that you have already tried that.
yeah the pipe i got is a foot long 3 inch INSIDE DIAMETER turndown and it is trying to fit but just wont.... its so close. i was planning on putting those on the collectors and putting u bolts to clamp it temporarily
Old 07-04-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000***camaro***ss
ok is there anything i can do to fix it temporarily? why is it running rich and what do i need to do to fix it? a tune or my duals?
Putting exhaust on it (as long as they aren't burnt yet- you would know if they were) will keep it from fouling them. A tune is always recommended, up to you if you should do it now or wait for another mod or two.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You need to buy a stainless band clamp to connect your pipe. U bolt clamp wont work.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Putting exhaust on it (as long as they aren't burnt yet- you would know if they were) will keep it from fouling them. A tune is always recommended, up to you if you should do it now or wait for another mod or two.
ok how would i know if they were fouled?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok how would i know if they were fouled?
Car would be loading up terribly between 2000-4000Rpms or so.. It would be obvious, car would not be running good at all.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not everybody has the O2 sensor problem, but the only thing you're really harming is the environment... But hey, if you were really that worried about it you would have bought a Prius Enjoy the noise!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Car would be loading up terribly between 2000-4000Rpms or so.. It would be obvious, car would not be running good at all.
im still a noob so bear with me. it seems to be running fine but it sounds so different compared to what it was before that all i can focus on during those RPM's is to keep my ears from bleeding. what exactly is that going to feel like in my car? A4 btw...
Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To put it simple "Yes. They can be harmful." Long tubes are fine because they are far enough away that you wont harm your valves, shorties and mids are a completely different story. Like I said before, enjoy the noise lol
Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

im still a noob so bear with me. it seems to be running fine but it sounds so different compared to what it was before that all i can focus on during those RPM's is to keep my ears from bleeding. what exactly is that going to feel like in my car? A4 btw...
It is almost like a backfire.. Just a gurgling kind of sound. It won't be a smooth pick up but more like cutting in and out. MPG will be complete **** and will run very rich.

Like I said, you would know if your o2s were bad.

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
To put it simple "Yes. They can be harmful." Long tubes are fine because they are far enough away that you wont harm your valves, shorties and mids are a completely different story. Like I said before, enjoy the noise lol
Yes, LTs are fine... If you want to replace 100$ worth of o2s every couple of weeks.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 PM
MASS seller approved

i ran open headers on my tahoe and my TA for 1 or 2 days each until the exaust shop opened up it made me grind my teeth every time i started it. its so loud i would never even run it that way at the track, i did have dual cut outs on my Y about a foot or so off the collector
Old 07-04-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow... you got pulled by a cop for window tint while running open headers, and they didn't even mention that your car was too loud?

You'd think it would have been the other way around, at least that would make sense to me...
Old 07-05-2010, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
i ran open headers on my tahoe and my TA for 1 or 2 days each until the exaust shop opened up it made me grind my teeth every time i started it. its so loud i would never even run it that way at the track, i did have dual cut outs on my Y about a foot or so off the collector
yeah these are the headers you sold to me a few weeks ago. thanks man!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Latch
Wow... you got pulled by a cop for window tint while running open headers, and they didn't even mention that your car was too loud?

You'd think it would have been the other way around, at least that would make sense to me...
i know. when i started the car to leave, i thought he was going to get off his bike and come talk to me again. but i guess i lucked out. i cant aford a 10,000 ticket for no cats
Old 07-05-2010, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

It is almost like a backfire.. Just a gurgling kind of sound. It won't be a smooth pick up but more like cutting in and out. MPG will be complete **** and will run very rich.

Like I said, you would know if your o2s were bad.

Yes, LTs are fine... If you want to replace 100$ worth of o2s every couple of weeks.
ok so i just got back from napa and got some band clamps. but the only pipes i could find were 6 inches long. they didnt have anything longer. is 6" enough length to clamp on to the collector to protect the o2 sensors?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok so i just got back from napa and got some band clamps. but the only pipes i could find were 6 inches long. they didnt have anything longer. is 6" enough length to clamp on to the collector to protect the o2 sensors?
Might be, might not be.. Only one way to find out.

It isn't going to hurt, I will tell you that.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

i know. when i started the car to leave, i thought he was going to get off his bike and come talk to me again. but i guess i lucked out. i cant aford a 10,000 ticket for no cats
I'm guessing that's supposed to be $10,000? and is unheard of here, do you live in California or something? I know there's a huge fine on a shop or person deleting the cats them self but i've never heard of getting a ticket for the car not having them.

I have hooker headers, ory and magna flow cat back im going to have put on in the future.

Quick Reply: are open headers harmful?