Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling exhaust temps by using A.I.R.?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cooling exhaust temps by using A.I.R.?

I know that AIR is programmed to only be on to light the cats. However, I am moving to stock manifolds and cats. I am somewhat worried about exhaust gas temps going into the cats - mostly for nitrous. If I wired the AIR to turn on anytime the nitrous gets armed, or if I could monitor the cats and dump the cold oxygen into the manifolds/cats with the AIR system, would this cool the exhaust?

Thanks for any insights,
John
Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transsam
I know that AIR is programmed to only be on to light the cats. However, I am moving to stock manifolds and cats. I am somewhat worried about exhaust gas temps going into the cats - mostly for nitrous. If I wired the AIR to turn on anytime the nitrous gets armed, or if I could monitor the cats and dump the cold oxygen into the manifolds/cats with the AIR system, would this cool the exhaust?

Thanks for any insights,
John

From my understanding the air injected into the exhaust will make it hotter. Atleast I know its injected at start up to get the cat's to operating temps faster.

Last edited by mtuggle86; 07-12-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ this
Old 07-12-2010, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

Thats what I was afraid of. I know the air is to heat them up faster, but I figured there was a chance that once they were "lit off," it might act differently.
Thanks guys.
Any other ideas on cooling the exhaust. I'm trying to save the cats if I spray too much on a pass.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is Environmental wacko gadgets.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

Ummmm, no. A.I.R. lights the cats a TON faster putting the car into closed loop. It has been estimated that even with A.I.R., 50% of your car's emissions come within the first 10 minutes of each cycle of driving on average over the car's lifetime. Add it skyrockets without the A.I.R. Wacko gadget, or smog and green house protection? Call it what you will, but who am I to talk. I am an environmental wacko who pays carbon credits for everything I do.
Oh, and thanks for the meaningless and unimportant post.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ummmm, no. A.I.R. lights the cats a TON faster putting the car into closed loop. It has been estimated that even with A.I.R., 50% of your car's emissions come within the first 10 minutes of each cycle of driving on average over the car's lifetime. Add it skyrockets without the A.I.R. Wacko gadget, or smog and green house protection? Call it what you will, but who am I to talk. I am an environmental wacko who pays carbon credits for everything I do.
Oh, and thanks for the meaningless and unimportant post.
I think he was trying to say that its not needed for the car to operate. For example I deleted my a.i.r system just like many others do when they get headers. Theres no need to rip his head off for it.

This whole topic has me thinking If the air system increases the exhaust temps wouldn't this also increase the exhaust velocity. If that was true even with headers couldn't you just rig the system to run all the time thus improving exhaust flow.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM
9 Second Club

I shouldn't have attacked so hard. You are right. I wouldn't run it all of the time. The thing sounds like crap! But look into it for your application, maybe it would be significant for scavenging the exhaust?

For me, I'm looking to methanol injection for the nitrous shots to cool stuff down instead of this. Seemed like a good idea at first though.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

One thing that i dont think was mentioned, but could you imagine what that would do to your A/F ratio? ESPECIALLY on the spray? I dont think that would be good at all!

Im running ported stock manifolds, and stock cats with no AIR. once i get it tuned, ill see how smoggable she is with a TSP 224R.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club

The A/F ratio shouldn't change. The A.I.R. blows after the heads. It is the E.G.R. that blows pre-intake runners.

I think going with a methanol injection system would be my best bet to cool the temps.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 AM
TECH Addict

The A/F ratio shouldn't change. The A.I.R. blows after the heads. It is the E.G.R. that blows pre-intake runners.

I think going with a methanol injection system would be my best bet to cool the temps.
But the injected air is still running across the O2 sensors. And the computer should try to compensate for the difference.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

I believe NVR SPDS is correct in that you could throw off your tune if you want to inject air. As I recall the O2 sensors are located on the collector portion of the headers and the A.I.R pump injects closer to the top of the headers. Even if air is injected post front O2 sensors you still have to contend with the rear O2 sensors if you have them.

My car is speed density with no cats so I only use the fronts for controlling the A/F ratio; well that and IAT and MAP

I am also assuming you have to run cats for emmissions.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
9 Second Club

Indeed he is correct. Good catch guys. I had already abandoned it, but if someone else has the "wise idea," there is some pretty good stuff in here. And yes, cats for Cali. Moving soonish.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shouldn't have attacked so hard. You are right. I wouldn't run it all of the time. The thing sounds like crap! But look into it for your application, maybe it would be significant for scavenging the exhaust?

For me, I'm looking to methanol injection for the nitrous shots to cool stuff down instead of this. Seemed like a good idea at first though.
It’s cool man, I can take a But yea, if you have a state inspection for smog, I would not remove it. I just happen to live in a city that does require the emissions check. So I have removed all emission equipment that will make the Sierra club peeps very upset.

Folks like me will have to worry about future smog checks placed on the highways that will check emissions as you drive by. It's an idea that is being floated....

Last edited by Camaro Junky; 07-13-2010 at 02:44 PM.