Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: My ATI Supredamper has hex head cap bolts on it. Clear the PS rack (C5)???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: My ATI Supredamper has hex head cap bolts on it. Clear the PS rack (C5)???

UPDATE: Just in case anyone find this thread searching out answers to the same issue here's an update. I sent the balancer assembly back to ATI to be modified at a cost of $40 + shipping. They machined the balancer face to accept the proper flush hardware and chamfered a 45 degree edge in the hub snout so the backside of the hardware wouldn't hit. I got it back together and installed all w/o issue. I'm glad I went this route, vs. trying to find shallower bolts, because there still isn't a ton of clearance between the balancer and steering rack. The front edge of the ATI is a good bit thicker than the OEM one so it needs all the room it can get.

**All newer y-body balancers come with flush hardware allready. I just happened to buy one from ThunderRacing that had been sitting on the shelf since 2007 so it was an older design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installed a y-body 10% underdrive unit w/o AC for my racecar build.... the balancer has hex headed bolts in the end that look like theyll be very very close to the PS rack.

Anyone run a ATI w/ these bolts? Can you get the rack back in w/o issue?

I had a 10% unit w/ AC on my old yellow Targa Z and it didnt come w/ these bolts that stick out.... they were all flush to the balancer end.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cobra4B; 08-11-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving to External III from Internal III.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you fix my poor spelling in the title while your at it :p
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTT.... ATI is saying that all Corvette balancers come with flush hardware. The box specifically says y-body on it.

Anyone?

Last edited by Cobra4B; 07-21-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I researched and answered my own question... the balancer I purchased from Thunder Racing is an older design where the bolt-heads are very very close to the steering rack and on hard braking will hit it.

Rick @ ATI was more helpful once I had the PN and everything and verified that Thunder ordered 2 units of the PN's that I have back in June 2007. Currently all Y-body balancers have all counter-sunk hardware.

So my options are to pull the balancer off and send it to them to be modified to newer standards or go find a low-profile bolt that will work.

He said some people will just run them w/ the 3 botls out, but it is not what you're supposed to do.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:07 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go with a shallower head bolt.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'd go with a shallower head bolt.
I agree!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided to do it the 100% right way to get the most clearance and send it back to ATI. Unfortunately I got a call today that I have to send the hub as well and they neglected to tell me that. It's edge has to be chamfered a little to clear the head of the new counter-sunk bolts.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt... Got the revised balancer back and updated the OP.