Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTBSully's LT Header Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default MTBSully's LT Header Install Thread

Boom baby. LSXtreme performance headers and O/R Y pipe showed up yesterday and my prothane poly motor mounts and ngk tr55 plugs showed up a few days ago, so it looks like i'm ready to start the install now. I've done LT headers on an LT1 car before, but never an LS1 car, so let the fun begin. Car is a 2000 SS btw. Will be getting started here in a few, and pictures will be up shortly. Stand by.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get air/egr delete headers?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

k heres the pics from thursday. Havent worked on it since but after work today i will continue. And yes i got race headers. I dont think LSxtreme performance makes an emissions header. What is everyone using to plug the intake manifold after deleting EGR?
So far i have managed to rip the little red wire off of the alternator and ripped a plug wire as well. Drivers side header is in and the motor mount is ready to go in as well. I will finish that up today and get going on the passengers side.

Fresh out the box. Y pipe assembled randomly haha

Car is ready to go

Drivers side out

AIR/EGR stuff out

Thats it for meow.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I will be putting an order on LsXtreme's headers soon. I really shouldnt because I need to get my trans rebuilt in my camaro, but I cant help it haha. I plan on doing the same thing as you, deleting all the useless crap when I install the headers.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

not too much more to update. Last night i bolted in the drivers side header, bolted up the drivers side poly mount, and bolted my alternator back in. Also removed 2 of the passengers side manifold bolts.

Did you guys remove your coil pack brackets on the passengers side to get to the manifold bolts? What about the dipstick tube? Also, will the passengers side manifold and cat be able to slide right out the bottom same as the drivers side was?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you don't have to remove the coil packs, but it does help a bit. The dipstick tube though has to come out.

As for going out the bottom, mine went in and out the bottom, just need to get the starter out of the way and be sure the car is high enough to angle them in right.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

also i broke the red "exciter?" wire off of the alternator. anyone know where i can get a new one or should i just find a similar weather pack and solder it back together? Thanks guys
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I would solder it back on, and for the EGR block off to intake you can just use a ordinary freeze plug from the local auto parts store... I think its 1 5/8ths? might have to meagure it, I can't remember exact size.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well...my take on this...seperate the manifolds from the cats...I don't even know how you got anywhere near the alternator to break that wire, I was nowhere close to it on my car.

Drivers side, drain the oil and remove the filter, remove the heat shield on the fire wall (it protects the clutch line on an M6 car, it might not even be there on an A4 car), unbolt the cat from the manifold (in my case all 3 bolts snapped with a breaker bar...which I didn't mind at all, made it really fast), and unbolt the manifold from the head...with the car up high enough the header should slide right in.

Passenger side, car doesn't even need to be as high...remove the starter and the dipstick tube, take the cat and then manifold out, and the new header will slide right in.

Then just put the heat shield back on the drivers side, put the dipstick tube and starter back in, put a new oil filter on, re-fill the crank case, put the Y together, hook up your midpipe and you're done. I literally had the ENTIRE stock exhaust off of my car in 45 minutes, on my back, in the driveway, with basic hand tools, and once I knew what I needed to remove, I had the new headers in in about an hour tops (including removing and reinstalling everything else)...it's not difficult...but again, I don't really know what you were doing that caused you to even be close to the alternator wire...and I can only see pulling the coil packs if it makes it easier for you to remove the plug wires from the last 2 on the passenger side or to reach the bolts on the passenger side better...I dunno.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can solder it but it will eventually break again. Just get a new one off ebay. I did mine when I installed my headers and it was about $10.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Well...my take on this...seperate the manifolds from the cats...I don't even know how you got anywhere near the alternator to break that wire, I was nowhere close to it on my car.

Drivers side, drain the oil and remove the filter, remove the heat shield on the fire wall (it protects the clutch line on an M6 car, it might not even be there on an A4 car), unbolt the cat from the manifold (in my case all 3 bolts snapped with a breaker bar...which I didn't mind at all, made it really fast), and unbolt the manifold from the head...with the car up high enough the header should slide right in.

Passenger side, car doesn't even need to be as high...remove the starter and the dipstick tube, take the cat and then manifold out, and the new header will slide right in.

Then just put the heat shield back on the drivers side, put the dipstick tube and starter back in, put a new oil filter on, re-fill the crank case, put the Y together, hook up your midpipe and you're done. I literally had the ENTIRE stock exhaust off of my car in 45 minutes, on my back, in the driveway, with basic hand tools, and once I knew what I needed to remove, I had the new headers in in about an hour tops (including removing and reinstalling everything else)...it's not difficult...but again, I don't really know what you were doing that caused you to even be close to the alternator wire...and I can only see pulling the coil packs if it makes it easier for you to remove the plug wires from the last 2 on the passenger side or to reach the bolts on the passenger side better...I dunno.

Probably removed the alternator to make room for his motor mount job. Besides, you can be 10 feet away from that wire and sneeze and it will break. It's super weak.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
Probably removed the alternator to make room for his motor mount job. Besides, you can be 10 feet away from that wire and sneeze and it will break. It's super weak.
im doing poly MMs as well so i had to move the alternator. i will check ebay. thanks guys
Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have an SLP lid, what did you use to plug the AIR lid hole on the right?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
If you have an SLP lid, what did you use to plug the AIR lid hole on the right?
havent got that far yet. i'll probs end up using a freeze plug for that as well. Passengers side manifold and cat slipped right out as one last night. New Motor mount is bolted in the clamshell and ready to go in. Passengers side header also easily slid right into place right before i decided it was bedtime.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

more pics and progress and a few questions at the bottom:

Passengers side Motor mount is bolted in and ready to go. Passengers side header slipped right in with no issues after the motor mounts were already bolted in.

Put my MSD wires on. Still waiting on a dipstick from the dealer so i can mount my coils and finish up the passengers side. Should be in this morning.

Expandable freeze plug in the intake manifold

Broken alternator wire

the collectors tuck up REAL nice

Questions

1. Did you guys reuse the spark plug wire heat shields? I didnt, and im wondering if i will run into any issues doing this.

2. Is there anything else i need to plug up after deleting AIR and EGR other than the hole in the Lid?

3. Where can i get a new pigtail for the alternator? hopefully a local parts store becuase i would like to fire this sucker up tonight.

Thanks guys
Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didnt reuse the heat shield on mine when i swapped to msd's and its been goin good for 8 months now lol. with the egr and air gone just remember to get a tune to delete the codes everything else should be fine. As for the pigtail you can try some auto places but they all had to order it around me I just went to the junkyard and cut a pigtail off of another car most gm cars share the same one I wana say i got one off of a sunfire and a malibu.
Dan
Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

i ordered one on ebay for $10 shipped and it will be here saturday but i will go to the junkyard and see if i can find one today.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good. Thanks for all the info on these headers. I'll be ordering mine sometime this month . Hopefully the shipping isn't insanely long.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

When fully installed, I will be waiting for sound clip & some nice revving. We have similar mods & I'm anxious to hear what this set up sounds like exiting a magnaflow
Old 08-06-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
When fully installed, I will be waiting for sound clip & some nice revving. We have similar mods & I'm anxious to hear what this set up sounds like exiting a magnaflow
me too. probably fire it up open headers tonight and then connect the rest of the catback tomorrow. more pictures coming after work today