Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help adjusting Throttle cable after 102mm install? UPDATED WITH VIDEO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red face Need help adjusting Throttle cable after 102mm install? UPDATED WITH VIDEO!!!

Ok so I have a 102mm t/b that I just installed. Now on the arm on the side of the t/b where the cable hooks up there are two slots. The 1st one only allows me to open the t/b open to about 80%, the second slot leaves the throttle blade open a little bit having it idle around like 2500rpms because of it but I can open it 100%.

I talked to Jon at Texas Speed and he said I need the cable on the last slot and there might be a adjustment on the cable by the firewall. Has anyone done this adjustment before, if so what does it consit of?

Last edited by MAXXLIMIT; 08-09-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trace the throttle cable from the tb. Look for a small square that has a button. It's not real obvious if you don't know what you're looking for. I'm pretty sure it rests close to where the dipstick is.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

This is the issue i'm having.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKD3I91FDns
Old 08-09-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea there is an adjustment on the cable itself.. trace the cable from the tb cam up until you find a portion of the cable that has a small black snap on cover on it. Inside this cover is a spring type assembly that allows you to loosen/tighten the slack of the tb blade. Just mess around with it and you will see how it works.

If I were you, I would remove the lid/bellow/maf assembly and just have the tb blade visible while your adjusting the cable. That way you can see when it is completely closed as you adjust the cable etc. After you have adjusted the cable approapriately, make sure to hold it in place as you snap the cover back on.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Saw the vid.. pop the cover off the TCS. There is a small green rubber stopper toward the bottom. Take a pair of pliers and remove it CAREFULLY. Then try the throttle body blade opening/closing. See if it makes a difference.

From the video, it is apparent you don't have enough slack in the cable because you have to manually push the cam forward to bring the blade shut, this happened to me after I put on my NW 92mm tb, but I just kept adjusting it until it worked.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
Saw the vid.. pop the cover off the TCS. There is a small green rubber stopper toward the bottom. Take a pair of pliers and remove it CAREFULLY. Then try the throttle body blade opening/closing. See if it makes a difference.

From the video, it is apparent you don't have enough slack in the cable because you have to manually push the cam forward to bring the blade shut, this happened to me after I put on my NW 92mm tb, but I just kept adjusting it until it worked.
Thanks for the info. I tried popping the black clips off and adjusting the cable, just doesn't seem like the cable will make the blade go back. I took out that small green rubber stop, didn't do anything. I'm still messing with it outside, lol
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MAXXLIMIT
Thanks for the info. I tried popping the black clips off and adjusting the cable, just doesn't seem like the cable will make the blade go back. I took out that small green rubber stop, didn't do anything. I'm still messing with it outside, lol
ya man sorry the green stopper removal didn't help.. worth a shot though.. go ahead and put it back in if you haven't..

you really should only have to adjust the cable that goes to the throttle body, not the one that comes from the gas pedal through the firewall.. what I would do it just take the cap off, watch the tb blade, and push and pull the cable with pretty good amount of force.. just see what happens.. don't be scared you won't break it.. the PTM tb and the NW TB are very similar and you only seem to be needing maybe 1/4" more of slack.. its frustrating I know lol but you'll figure it out man

if you still can't figure it out, I'll go out and **** with mine and screw it up and then document how I fix it and take pics of where my spring thing is inside the cap if need be just lemme know
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

I think the cam is just too big on this throttle body. IDK? Have another video coming in 5mins.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

try loosing 2 the crews on the TB and see if it gose fully Close, if it worked then u need to adjust the blade.

hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Here is me playing with the throttle by the tcm. Notice how when I give it throttle it dont go back down, I have to do it by hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-8z2UMahCA
Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
try loosing 2 the crews on the TB and see if it gose fully Close, if it worked then u need to adjust the blade.

hope that helps.
This is one of the issuses I told TSP. When I have it on the 1st hole for the cable on the cam it closes fine but will only open to about 80% WOT. Now I have it on the last hole like TSP suggest and it won't close and I can't get it any slack.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

will it still do that with the cable off ?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
will it still do that with the cable off ?
Oh the throttle body is fine when the cable is off. Its either the holes are offset on the cam or I can't get enough slack from the cable.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MAXXLIMIT
Oh the throttle body is fine when the cable is off. Its either the holes are offset on the cam or I can't get enough slack from the cable.
my bad, i actually wrote that before i read post # 11, we were close in time.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Ok so get this, I think I pretty much have it adjusted correctly having idle giving it gas here and there and BAMMMM the car just turns off. Go to crank it and it just cranks but don't start. This has just been a nightmare.

I checked all fuses. OK!
I checked all grounds. OK!
I checked battery voltage. OK!

WTF is really going on, LOL!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

wow wtf lol.. another idea is this maybe.. put it on the closer hole, the one that opens 80% and then tighten the cable slack so it pulls more open?

are you using the gas pedal to check the amount it opens, or turning the TCS/Cruise by hand?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
wow wtf lol.. another idea is this maybe.. put it on the closer hole, the one that opens 80% and then tighten the cable slack so it pulls more open?

are you using the gas pedal to check the amount it opens, or turning the TCS/Cruise by hand?
I have my lady in the car and pushing the pedal. Its adjusted pretty much the best it can now.

But while checking with the car running, it just freaking died out no warning at all. now it just cranks won't start. WTF????
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

is the fuel pump priming? pressure at the rails? maybe not enough air now lol?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

Ok pulled the plugs after coming back from the movies with the lady, and this is what they look like.....YEAH a little fouled would you say. Going in the morning install new plugs and re-gap them and install them and hope it starts!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am fighting the same exact battle as you with a nw 90mm! Please let me know if you figure it out! I am going to try and trace the throttle cable back like the previous poster stated. When I run the first slot the car idles perfect at 800 rpm but the tb gets stuck above 2k. When I run the 2nd position the car idles at ~3k. Banging my head as I type!

Last edited by smg267; 08-11-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help adjusting Throttle cable after 102mm install? UPDATED WITH VIDEO!!!