Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the middle of my LTs install..need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In the middle of my LTs install..need help!

hey all, i got my long tubes in the last weekend they are crappy stainless flowtech i couldnt find something with low worldwide shipping, anyway this is my first time dealing with headers and everything is going great except for 2 things..1) where the hell is the oil stick thingy attached? can i reach it from the top? will it drop some oil if i unbolt it? 2) the O2 sensors they are 4, 2 front and 2 back, i belive the rear 2 will fit inside my headers..what about the other 2? will it throw codes? how to delete them? (i got extensions) so far ive removed my coils for more room i unbolted all the manifolds bolts except one near the oil stick driver side is ready to go i altho i cheated i cut off my Y pipe....wanted to changed my plugs and mounts but am broke right now ... wow did i write all that
Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a bolt holding the dip stick tube to the block. Remove that bolt and then twist and pull up on the tube and it will slide out of the block. It might be a little tight, there is a O ring on the bottom of the tube. The O2 sensors should thread right in the bungs on the headers and Y pipe. The fronts need to be in place the rears can be put in or left out and pluged, you will have to tune out the rear O2's with HP tuner or some other tuning software.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

oh thanks i saw the bolt but it was really dark so i stoped there...for the O2's i didnt really get it, the fronts will bolt where after i install my headers? can i still drive the car with no problems if i didnt tune my O2's? thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

oh so i should place the fronts in the headers and delete the rears?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
oh so i should place the fronts in the headers and delete the rears?
Correct.

I'm not sure what shipping costs would be to UAE, but you may want to look into getting a Mail-Order-Tune. This would eliminate the SES light resulting from the removal of the Rear O2's as well as add some performance gains by optimizing the modifications you're performing right now.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

forget about shipping its crazy! like really crazy lid shipping would cost like 80$, there are local tuners here but is it ok to drive it with SES i cant tune it till at least a week or so and i need to drive it coz i dont have my other car around.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it will be fine to drive.. just get it settled out soon after
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

X2 ^^^

It will be fine to drive with the ses light on, just make sure the front O2's are in and you'll be fine. With the cats gone the rear O2's are worthless.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

hey all, i got my long tubes in the last weekend they are crappy stainless flowtech i couldnt find something with low worldwide shipping, anyway this is my first time dealing with headers and everything is going great except for 2 things..1) where the hell is the oil stick thingy attached? can i reach it from the top? will it drop some oil if i unbolt it? 2) the O2 sensors they are 4, 2 front and 2 back, i belive the rear 2 will fit inside my headers..what about the other 2? will it throw codes? how to delete them? (i got extensions) so far ive removed my coils for more room i unbolted all the manifolds bolts except one near the oil stick driver side is ready to go i altho i cheated i cut off my Y pipe....wanted to changed my plugs and mounts but am broke right now ... wow did i write all that
Oil stick has a bolt in the side of the block around the header flange area. Get it from the top. Then just pull that thing out. It takes alot of patience to pull it out on some cars. My 01 was a pita. You wont spill oil.
The only o2s that should throw codes are the rear ones which is no big deal. It wont make the car run funny. Get it tuned out when you get a dynotune someday or whenever.
Its ok, on my 98 I hacked the y pipe also. No big deal. Just remember to take breaks and not get so stressed out over it that you break **** (like I did on my 01) You will be happy in the end.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

^^ not rushing anything lol am having fun doing it.

thanks every one am gonna bolt the headers now, what gasket should i use the one came with it or factory gasket? what about the bolts? i have everything new but i heard everyone uses the factory bolts and all..
Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the factory MLS exhaust manifold gasket and the stock bolts.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

ill do so too i guess.

forgot one thing, should i use a sealant of any kind?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2) the O2 sensors they are 4, 2 front and 2 back, i belive the rear 2 will fit inside my headers..what about the other 2? will it throw codes? how to delete them? (i got extensions) P
U need to install the 2 front o2s and dich the rears.

the rear o2s will set codes, u either tune them out or buy O2 Simulators (i prefer tuning them out).
Old 08-11-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

^^ thx, any ideas on sealant? should i use on or just bolt the headers right on?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should i use a sealant of any kind?
For the gaskets, no sealant needed, just make sure you get them on there nice and tight, but be careful not to break any off when your retightning them. Also, some do this, others dont, but after the first few heat cycles, you can go back and try to snug the bolts down again.

As for the rear O2s, if you cant get a tune anytime soon, you may look into O2 sims for the rears until you can get that tune, the shipping may still be an issue with them.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

^ thanks i will def. check on the again after a while...as for the O2's i can manage it no problem. thank you all.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just installed lt's last week, it worked the best for me to have someone pull/twist on the dipstick from the top while i pried on it down below where it goes into the bottom of the block.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

bfft didnt get to touch anything today..was busy with something esle. gonna do it 2moro i just cant wait to put them on
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^ thx, any ideas on sealant? should i use on or just bolt the headers right on?
No sealant. I use HI temp anti seize on my header studs and O2 sensor threads.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 AM
TECH Addict

my tools are gone! my father took them! anyway i got the driver side ready but the manifold is stuck! i thick those damn O2 sensors are blocking the manifolds they are a bitch to get out!! i dont have enough space under the car to unbolt them, wheres the plug located i want to unblog it first then unbolt it when the stock manifold is out! its 112 F here am dehydrating