Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not the usual bullet muffler/Loudmouth thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not the usual bullet muffler/Loudmouth thread

I do NOT have LT's or ORY and I do NOT plan on getting them.

I have a 2002 Z28 with stock manifolds and catted y-pipe into a Loudmouth 1 catback. I do NOT have any rasp issues and the sound is pretty good to me, its just too loud.

It's mostly too loud inside the car and there is some annoying drone when cruising. I don't know if its because I am getting older or what, but I am tired of having to blare the stereo just to hear the music (especially with a window down) and my wife doesn't even like riding in the car because of how loud it is.

So, I have read all the opinions and heard all the sound clips on which bullet muffler people like for a LM with LT's and ORY, but what do you guys recommend for someone in my situation?

I do not want to spend a lot of money so I am really hoping to just replace the LM resonator. What do you guys think...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

i dont remember off the top of my head who makes it but i absolutely love the mufffler that came with my tsp rumbler kit. i deffinately suggest it to anyone.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a one chamber Flowmaster dumped before the axle on my 2000 Z28 and love it.

Stock manifolds and cats here as well
Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

The Loudmouth 2 is quieter and more tame. Plus, you wouldn't have to rework your whole exhaust; you can buy the LM2 resonator for $80 and it fits in the same spot as your LM1.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you don't plan to spend a lot of money you could get a Magnaflow Bullet ($130?) and quiet it down. I have a friend who has Full exhaust a good size cam and M6 with a Magnaflow Bullet instead of a SLP LM bullet and at WOT it was slightly quieter than my car (but still loud) with SLP Loudmouth 1, BBK Headers, and ORY pipe.

You can get a Borla XR-1($120?) Bullet muffler which quiets it down a little but I haven't heard that in person but on the internet sounds nasty (I like rasp and drone ha).

Now if you dont mind spending $300 you can always get the SLP Powerflo kit which you can put on the end of the SLP loudmouth cat-back, right before the tips to quiet it down big time and from what I have heard from other people it sounds really good and has no rasp or drone.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a Borla XR-1 bullet in place of the LM1 resonator. I also have longtubes and an ORY. It's pretty loud, but not as loud as the LM1. With stock manifolds and Y-pipe, the Borla should tame the sound a bit.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mesterious
Well if you don't plan to spend a lot of money you could get a Magnaflow Bullet ($130?) and quiet it down. I have a friend who has Full exhaust a good size cam and M6 with a Magnaflow Bullet instead of a SLP LM bullet and at WOT it was slightly quieter than my car (but still loud) with SLP Loudmouth 1, BBK Headers, and ORY pipe.

You can get a Borla XR-1($120?) Bullet muffler which quiets it down a little but I haven't heard that in person but on the internet sounds nasty (I like rasp and drone ha).

Now if you dont mind spending $300 you can always get the SLP Powerflo kit which you can put on the end of the SLP loudmouth cat-back, right before the tips to quiet it down big time and from what I have heard from other people it sounds really good and has no rasp or drone.

I just don't know about the Powerflo. $300 is more than I want to spend, especially because it will cost more for the muffler shop to install and I will have to buy new tips probably as mine are welded on. Plus, I just can't see how those mufflers don't show and end up looking like an import...

I have always associated Borla with a burbly raspyness. Do you think that would that still be the case with just a XR-1 muffler on stock manifolds/cats? Any chance there are any sound clips of this?

I wonder how the Magnaflow bullet and LM2 resonator compare in sound and flow?

Do you guys have a part number for the Magnaflow bullet I would need?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
I've got a one chamber Flowmaster dumped before the axle on my 2000 Z28 and love it.

Stock manifolds and cats here as well
I looked at the Flowmaster 1 chamber and don't see how that would fit in the same location as the LM resonator.

While on their site, I came across Hushpower Pro Series mufflers. They have a 3" IN/3" OUT, 6" Dia., 16" long case muffler (part# 13016100) that sounds like it might fit. A 6" Dia. might be cutting it pretty close though. Has anyone tried these or heard them on other cars before?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try a Powerstick or chambered type bullet. Any bullet type muffler is going to drone a bit, you'll need something with some sort of packing inside or a more traditional type muffler to tone it down.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got mine sitting under the rear passenger seat cavity
Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

why not sell the LM cat back you have, re coupe some money and buy a more traditional muffler exhaust , like the Hooker aero chamber cat back... You probably wont be satisfied with whatever "bullet" you replace it with anyway.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had longtunes and an offroad y when I created this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...iral-flow.html

But it might help you out anyways. Really tamed the sound (as you can hear from the videos on the thread) and I didn't notice any power loss. Maybe check it out and see if it interests you at all. If not, no worries. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Not the usual bullet muffler/Loudmouth thread