Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe, X pipe, H pipe, WTH???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Y pipe, X pipe, H pipe, WTH???

Guys excuse me somewhat for being new to the 4th gen F-body. After having several 1st gens, I now have an 02 SS and I am familiar with the value of an x and h pipe in the exhaust. This car has a cluster puck under the drivers seat that not only hangs down 2 inches, but the guy used about 12 pieces chopped as he went to create it and it looks like he11.

On this car I'm on a budget and I'm not chasing the last hp out of it, but I'm curious if a shop could just create something with their in house materials vs buying something and if so what I'd be giving up vs cost? It appears it's at least a 2 1/2 setup already and the rest seems to be ok as I've redone everything but that area. It's running a magnaflow muff with ps headers. I'm not wanting to tear apart anything else, but that area needs some work. ideas?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pics?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

You might want to check out Texas Speed's true dual systems. Their reasonably priced and you have a choice in mufflers; all of which you can hear sounds of on Youtube.com
I believe their X-Pipe systems. Ground clearance isn't much of an issue.
www.Texas-Speed.com
Good Luck with your new to you Camaro

RJT
Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think an H-pipe would be the easiest for a shop to build from scratch, then a y-pipe, then an x-pipe.

A good exhaust shop should be able to fab something up without a whole lot of problems, although it might take a little longer than a normal system for them to get it tucked as tight as possible. Having a custom-built setup also allows you to pick whatever muffler you need and having it fit right.

The TSP setup is ok, but I see those types of systems more as an alternative for people in places lacking good exhaust shops (like me), or exhaust shops who won't work on cars without cats (me again). If I had been able to, I'd have bought a good x-pipe and the mufflers I wanted (an extra $120 on top of the TSP system kind of sucks) and had a shop fab the setup.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChefTA
You might want to check out Texas Speed's true dual systems. Their reasonably priced and you have a choice in mufflers; all of which you can hear sounds of on Youtube.com
I believe their X-Pipe systems. Ground clearance isn't much of an issue.
www.Texas-Speed.com
Good Luck with your new to you Camaro

RJT
Bit of a hijack, but how to you like the Powersticks? I'm swapping out the bullets on my TSP duals for a set of 20" Powersticks, but couldn't really find sound clips of those on an LS1.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Element
Bit of a hijack, but how to you like the Powersticks? I'm swapping out the bullets on my TSP duals for a set of 20" Powersticks, but couldn't really find sound clips of those on an LS1.
Dude, their by far my favorite true dual setup I've ran on my car. I've ran a total of 4 different setups 1. Borla Catback (adjustable) 2. X-Pipe dumped Bullets 3. X-Pipe Borla XR-1 4. H-Pipe over the axel out the back with 2 "Medium" Powersticks. Feel free to give my vids a listen to.
I'm running high flow cats in both of the vids.Here's the link to one below >>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLl-Nt-3KaM
>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHY_Q...eature=related
Hope these help.
RJT
Old 09-16-2010, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm currently debating on ditching my powersticks and going back to a catback. I really like GMMG, but its sorta expensive for just a cat back. I'd be able to use my high flow cats and maybe a powerstick in the I-Pipe to quiet possible interior drone.
Once you go chambered mufflers.. you'll fall in love I know I did!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChefTA
Dude, their by far my favorite true dual setup I've ran on my car. I've ran a total of 4 different setups 1. Borla Catback (adjustable) 2. X-Pipe dumped Bullets 3. X-Pipe Borla XR-1 4. H-Pipe over the axel out the back with 2 "Medium" Powersticks. Feel free to give my vids a listen to.
I'm running high flow cats in both of the vids.Here's the link to one below
Hope these help.
RJT
Hmm, nice. Definitely has a lot different sound than the bullets that are on the car now, and that's what I want. I'm interested to hear what they'll sound like on a no-cat dumped setup with a stock cam. Well, stock for a little bit.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Element
Hmm, nice. Definitely has a lot different sound than the bullets that are on the car now, and that's what I want. I'm interested to hear what they'll sound like on a no-cat dumped setup with a stock cam. Well, stock for a little bit.
They'll be awesome dude. Powersticks really give our modern muscle cars that "60's style sound". Dumped it might be a little more drone than out the back. I ran them without cats and with my X3 it was insanely loud (top fuel dragster), but I drove it around for a few weeks, cop asked me if i had cats, i said "yes" white lie of course. I couldn't get down to "check" for him, since my car is slammed to the ground.
You won't be disappointed!