Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback or Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Catback or Muffler?

Maybe this has been covered and maybe not. I was up under my car the other day hooking up my exhaust. I have long tubes to cat'd y-pipe to stock catback with a Hooker Aerochamber muffler. I was looking at the catback and it's 3" all the way to the muffler. No flat spots, no kinks, just a perfect 3" round pipe back over the axle to the muffler. I don't really see any restriction in the stock exhaust that an aftermarket catacks would fix.

Am I missing something or is there nothing to be gained by going to an aftermarket catback aside from a different muffler? I'm thinking about saving some money and just buy a different muffler and leave the stock 3" pipe alone. But if it is restrictive in some way I'll just rip the whole thing out for aftermarket.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock I pipe you mean? i believe its 2.75" thats why people get catbacks. but it really wont be that much of a difference.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's that restrictive, I'd put the money towards something else.
My car had an aftermarket muffler on it when I bought it and I swapped it out for a full catback system and kinda regretted it. No noticible difference and a $500 lighter wallet.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a borla muffler on mine and it sounded pretty mean. Since I installed an electric cut out....with the cut out on my GTECH I pick up .2 and a couple mph consistantly.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

The stock piping just isn't mandrel bent, but it should all be 3" (except for the Y pipe).
Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Am I missing something or is there nothing to be gained by going to an aftermarket catback aside from a different muffler? I'm thinking about saving some money and just buy a different muffler and leave the stock 3" pipe alone. But if it is restrictive in some way I'll just rip the whole thing out for aftermarket.
I'm happy with my Magnaflow catback for $375 too my door, but I think the gains are pretty small. Not really anything you're going to feel. If I were you I'd keep that setup and possibly look into a cutout like katz_2003 mentioned.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 PM
FormerVendor

You need som serious power before you run into any exhaust restriction. As long as you have headers and an after market muffler your all good.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this has been covered and maybe not. I was up under my car the other day hooking up my exhaust. I have long tubes to cat'd y-pipe to stock catback with a Hooker Aerochamber muffler. I was looking at the catback and it's 3" all the way to the muffler. No flat spots, no kinks, just a perfect 3" round pipe back over the axle to the muffler. I don't really see any restriction in the stock exhaust that an aftermarket catacks would fix.

I have the same setup as you and I was told there isnt going to be any noticeable difference going to a catback. I believe I have the stock ws6 I pipe. I would keep the aerochamber muffler if I were you.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, good. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something because it seems like a catback is most people's first mod, not really sure why though. This is my second LS1 and the first came with an SLP catback. This was the first time I actually saw the stock exhaust up close and personal. I was thinking it would be a lot more restrictive but it doesn't really look any different than the SLP catback. I'll just go with a cutout and be done with it.

BTW, the Aerochamber is QUIET! With the windows up cruising around town, I can't hear my exhaust until I get up to about 2.5k RPM. I was thinking the long tubes would increase the loud factor but it sounds almost like it's on stock manifolds.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, good. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something because it seems like a catback is most people's first mod, not really sure why though. This is my second LS1 and the first came with an SLP catback. This was the first time I actually saw the stock exhaust up close and personal. I was thinking it would be a lot more restrictive but it doesn't really look any different than the SLP catback. I'll just go with a cutout and be done with it.

BTW, the Aerochamber is QUIET! With the windows up cruising around town, I can't hear my exhaust until I get up to about 2.5k RPM. I was thinking the long tubes would increase the loud factor but it sounds almost like it's on stock manifolds.
Most mufflers w/ long tubes will sound quiet at crusing speeds. I like the hooker because its quiet when I want it to be, and loud when you get on it. If you want something thats loud all the time I would into a LM2 muffler IMO they get pretty raspy with LT's but not nearly as bad as loudmouth 1. However it will be loud as hell.