Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with a starter from kragen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default anyone with a starter from kragen?

i put a starter from kragen on the car when i put the engine in and since then every start sounds like it grinds. i've checked it and 1 time it was loose so i tightened the bolts and it starter normal one time, since then it does the same grinding thing. the car starts but it's the grinding noise that has me at a loss, was it supposed to come with shims? and if anyone is running one are you running shims and how many?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

so out of the thousands of members on here nobody runs a starter that needs shims?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought one from eBay lol, I didnt feel like dropping 180 for a starter at Autozone. Will let you know how it feels after install
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

i'll be pulling the starter off in the morning and put the shims in and see how many i need then i'll post up how many it takes since nobody else out of the thousands of LSX owners runs one from kragen/o'rielly
Old 11-14-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be able to shim it mounting looks identical to a sbc starter and I've had to shim quite a few of them good luck
Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rhino83
you should be able to shim it mounting looks identical to a sbc starter and I've had to shim quite a few of them good luck
i know i will, it's just the fact the this site is like a high school, if your not popular you don't get answered by hardly anyone. you guys answered which is nice and dandy but a solid answer from someone who has done this (there has to be at least 1 person on this ****** site who's ran a starter from kragen) thats my frustration
Old 11-15-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by King Nothing
i know i will, it's just the fact the this site is like a high school, if your not popular you don't get answered by hardly anyone. you guys answered which is nice and dandy but a solid answer from someone who has done this (there has to be at least 1 person on this ****** site who's ran a starter from kragen) thats my frustration
To be honest with an attitude like the one your portraying in that post it sounds like your the one in high school. If you couldn't find a thread, review, or write up for the specific brand starter you were searching for then please feel free to create one. Believe it or not You might be the guy that helps the next guy find out more about that brand of starter before or after he buys it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
To be honest with an attitude like the one your portraying in that post it sounds like your the one in high school. If you couldn't find a thread, review, or write up for the specific brand starter you were searching for then please feel free to create one. Believe it or not You might be the guy that helps the next guy find out more about that brand of starter before or after he buys it.
well after countless threads of legitimately asking for help and gettin a few un certain answers that never help, one can get a little irritated. people don't get much help on here anymore which sucks because this used to be the site to go to for THE answers but now it's only good for stickies . . . and yes it is just like high school and popularity, you may not think so but i'm definitely not the only one. BOT, I'll be the guy who helps everyone else out . . . don't buy a remanufactured anything from kragen/o'rielly's or autozone, don't go cheap route like me i'm gonna end up goin to the dealership and gettin a new starter next month. the only shims they carry in store, also the same ones that come with the starters now are not the right size and will not fit, they are 1/4" off