Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice, LS1 swap into G-body

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice, LS1 swap into G-body

I am currently in the process of swapping a ls1 from a 1999 trans am (parts car). The engine has alot of miles, so I am having the bottom end built (new rod/main bearings/bolts, forged pistons (which I have), etc. I have ordered the oil pan and motor/transmissions mounts to make everything fit, and I am using the wiring harness from the parts Trans am. So, to get to the point...

What heads should I invest in? I can get a set of stock 317's for $150, or I could look into buying some Ls6 heads used. Either way, I am going to have them worked. I am running the ms3 cam and keeping things N/A. Trying to get the most for my money. Any feedback is appreciated, and sorry for the long post. I'm new to this.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

What company did you go with to mount it? I am leaning very heavily on BRP Musclerods for my kit.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Teching In

The BRP kit. It's expensive, but time is money and I know most everything will fit using their mounts. Just haven't decided if i'm gonna grab the LH8 oil pan as well, or try and modify things to make it fit.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Sorry, It as in the stock F-body oil pan.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

I'd do LS6 243's.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXMonteSS
I am currently in the process of swapping a ls1 from a 1999 trans am (parts car). The engine has alot of miles, so I am having the bottom end built (new rod/main bearings/bolts, forged pistons (which I have), etc. I have ordered the oil pan and motor/transmissions mounts to make everything fit, and I am using the wiring harness from the parts Trans am. So, to get to the point...

What heads should I invest in? I can get a set of stock 317's for $150, or I could look into buying some Ls6 heads used. Either way, I am going to have them worked. I am running the ms3 cam and keeping things N/A. Trying to get the most for my money. Any feedback is appreciated, and sorry for the long post. I'm new to this.
pick up a set of cheap 799's and have them sent out to TEA and do the stage 2.5, which includes milling to your specs and 2.055/1.57 valves.

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr.../gmhead/gmls6/

that ought to top off that ms3 quite nicely
Old 12-12-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSXMonteSS
The BRP kit. It's expensive, but time is money and I know most everything will fit using their mounts. Just haven't decided if i'm gonna grab the LH8 oil pan as well, or try and modify things to make it fit.
That's the same engine mount and trans mount kit I bought. Have you thought about using the CTS-V pan? I talked to someone with the BRP mounts and CTS-V pan and they said it fit really nicely with minimal pan below the engine crossmember. What headers did you get? Also what accessory drive?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
That's the same engine mount and trans mount kit I bought. Have you thought about using the CTS-V pan? I talked to someone with the BRP mounts and CTS-V pan and they said it fit really nicely with minimal pan below the engine crossmember. What headers did you get? Also what accessory drive?
I am still deciding on the headers and oil pan, I'm between the LH8 and the CTS-V pans. I think I'm just going to go the cheap route and buy some ebay headers and make them fit, but if i have the money, I might buy the ones from BRP. What about you?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Teching In

so we have 1 vote for 243's and one vote for 799's... For the 243's, is it worth it to port them or just leave them stock? How much should I pay for used 243's? What about for the 799's?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

243's usually fetch a little more because of the lighter valves. used 243's usually go for around 400-500. used 799's go for right around 400.

are they worth porting? yes. head flow is key in making power. i say go with 799's, p&p, step up valve size, and mill 'em down.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

799's are dirty dirt cheap, what about the LQ9 heads brian?

Quick Reply: Need advice, LS1 swap into G-body