Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Rattle -- Possibly Dual/Dual

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Rattle -- Possibly Dual/Dual

I know the internals of the muffler can separate from the casing, but I doubt rather hope that's not the case. Basically I have a rattle from the rear of the car. It doesn't do it at idle, slight noise, nothing unusual. It seems to have gotten worse with the poly motor mounts, and poly tranny mount. I notice it the most coming off the throttle from a higher RPM. It will decel, then rattle pretty bad.

Exhaust Mods:
ARH 1 7/8ths - ARH ORY - Stock SLP I-pipe - Stock SLP Dual/Dual - stainless single tips.

Thing I have checked/fixed:

Spare tire has already been pulled along with the jack.

Fixed the twist locks on the passenger side hatch compartment. One wasn't locked, and the foam around the clips fell off. So I used foam weather stripping around the metal locking points. Snugged everything in correctly, locked them all, zero noise out of that now.

Checked to make sure the hatch speakers weren't lose.

Put weather stripping behind the license plate.

Checked all the tail lights to make sure they were snug. Also checked the third brake light.

Made sure the berger panel was secure and not lose.

Had the car on a lift, checked all exhaust clamps. Checked all heat shields. Nothing was lose, and no pipes were close to touching.

Checked all the rear suspension, nothing seemed lose.

Pulled the CD changer out to rule out that.

Nothing is in the back of the car, and folded the rear seat forward to make sure it was nothing to do with that.

So the only thing left I can think of is something to do with the catback. There is a slight squeak from one of the exhaust hangers. The tips are welded snug, and are not lose. Anyone have any idea what else to check? This is driving me INSANE!

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look like you covered everything i could think of. I hate to say this but i would think it has to the muffler case...

Are you sure it isnt backfiring that your hearing?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Look like you covered everything i could think of. I hate to say this but i would think it has to the muffler case...

Are you sure it isnt backfiring that your hearing?
It's most definitely a rattle. I should of worded it a bit better, after a decel, and when back to just cruising at low RPM's I hear it just rattling away. Going to pull the catback off and see what I find.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Ya well in that case sounds like it is one of the internal baffles rattling.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I kind of figured that may be the case. Will yank it when I get a chance. Might be a chance to upgrade to a GMMG, or get the new Kooks duals.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I had a bad rattle for a while and it ended up being a rock that got stuck in between a heat shield and the body. I dont know how it got there but I was messing with one of the shields for some reason one day and it fell out and I havent had the rattle since
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds kinda like what im dealing with with my magnagflow it sounds like its gonna fall off or something when i hit bumps. it used to be like a rattle for a few months now its just like full blown sounding like the next bump ill see it laying in the road or something lol
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya little update. I used the rubber covered end of my hammer and after checking every clamp, and climbing all around my garage floor I determined it to be something in the muffler itself, or right off the outlet to the passenger side tip. The issue is it's welded there.

I have noticed the dual/dual to be a bit more raspy than normal over the past few weeks. The noise has also gotten progressively worse, and now so after the poly motor mounts.

So looks like I will be converting from my quiet exhaust to the SLP PowerFlo. If it is too loud or too raspy which according to most it's not, especially after a converter, I will change the muffler in the I-pipe. Stock converter seems to hit a spot right around 2,100-2,400 RPM that sounds like ***. This apparently isn't that bad in that range, but we will see.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Could be the ring of death broke loose.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Could be the ring of death broke loose.
Explain?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe hes talking about the "cone of silince". A cone shaped restriction used in the LT1 SS's factory 2otl exhaust to quiet it down.

I have not heard of any of the LS1 SS's dual/duals getting any sort of modifications to quiet it down such as that.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's for sure something to do with your muffler.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Maybe hes talking about the "cone of silince". A cone shaped restriction used in the LT1 SS's factory 2otl exhaust to quiet it down.

I have not heard of any of the LS1 SS's dual/duals getting any sort of modifications to quiet it down such as that.
That's what I thought, and I also never heard of any of the LS1 cars getting them.