Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP LT & O/R Y-Pipe (Question)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP LT & O/R Y-Pipe (Question)

Okay, so I just bought TSP race style LT & 3" Off road Y-Pipe. My question is can I keep my stock catback??

Also, the headers came with butt connectors and wire. What is this used for?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock catback will be ok. Id replace the muffler though and maybe get a cut out.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW....I was just going to ask the same question...I have a flowmaster 80 series that hooks up to the stock I pipe. sounds great... I wanted LT'S and an ory..but wanted to make sure it will work..and....where would you put the cutout? how will this affect sound quality? and should you really have the 2.5" y-pipe on the stock catback? sorry to kinda high jack the oringinal post but hopefully we can get all the answers to this.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Stock catback will be ok. Id replace the muffler though and maybe get a cut out.
sorry, yeah I am running a V-force 2 chamber.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Yes you can keep it. My exhaust is stock from the ORY back. I have a cutout before the muffler.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

so with just a flowmaster muffler and tips...the rest is stock... I can put a cutout in?? what exactly does it do sound wise...and since my tips are right where I want them..where else can I place it..and which cutout is recommended or does it matter??
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by projectX
Okay, so I just bought TSP race style LT & 3" Off road Y-Pipe. My question is can I keep my stock catback??

Also, the headers came with butt connectors and wire. What is this used for?

Thanks!
The Wire and Butt Connectors are used to extend the length of the Front O2 Sensor Wiring on each Bank.

But rather than cutting and splicing your factory wiring you can either purchase O2 Sensor Extensions or check out Post #14 of the following thread and swap a couple Pins in the PCM allowing you to use the wiring for the Rear O2's to control the Front Sensors.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-install.html

I wish I had known about this when I did my header install a couple years ago.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
The Wire and Butt Connectors are used to extend the length of the Front O2 Sensor Wiring on each Bank.

But rather than cutting and splicing your factory wiring you can either purchase O2 Sensor Extensions or check out Post #14 of the following thread and swap a couple Pins in the PCM allowing you to use the wiring for the Rear O2's to control the Front Sensors.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-install.html

I wish I had known about this when I did my header install a couple years ago.

Okay cool. I actually bought extensions so that works. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best place for a cutout is in the I-pipe anywhere you have room. Closer to the Y-pipe the better. The point is to eliminate all restriction from pushing the exhaust gasses through a long length of pipe and/or a muffler. Less exhaust restriction lets your engine breathe better and the result is added power. As far as the sound; it isn't pretty. It's raspy and loud...very loud.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Teching In

I have a cut out just after the Texas speed Y and the stock exhaust after that. Also Pacesetter LT and it sounds great open and well I only close the cutout if the popo are around
Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by justin hover
WOW....I was just going to ask the same question...I have a flowmaster 80 series that hooks up to the stock I pipe. sounds great... I wanted LT'S and an ory..but wanted to make sure it will work..and....where would you put the cutout? how will this affect sound quality? and should you really have the 2.5" y-pipe on the stock catback? sorry to kinda high jack the oringinal post but hopefully we can get all the answers to this.
add headers with those flowmasters and it wont sound to good... I hated my flows after my headers were installed..
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

So it sounds like the cutout will give me less restriction.... but kill the sound of the flowmaster..? not that flowmaster is the best flowing or anything...but It sounds sooo damm good though...I'll lose a few horses before I'll lose any of that the sound quality
Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dee99gt
add headers with those flowmasters and it wont sound to good... I hated my flows after my headers were installed..
Really....what was the noticeable shity difference??? instead of the raspy Y, how bout a flowmaster merge pipe?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been covered many times before the Rasp is all in the Y pipe. Get rid of the shitty Y pipe and you get rid of rasp. Flowmaster, Magnaflow and a few others make a good Y merge you can get welded on. The new TSP Y merge is nicer and should get rid of rasp as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by got milk??
Its been covered many times before the Rasp is all in the Y pipe. Get rid of the shitty Y pipe and you get rid of rasp. Flowmaster, Magnaflow and a few others make a good Y merge you can get welded on. The new TSP Y merge is nicer and should get rid of rasp as well.
That sounds about right...that's the answer...only thing I don't like is
how dee9gt said add Lt's to my flowmaster and I'll be disappointed..has me worried because this was the setup I wanted
Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds about right...that's the answer...only thing I don't like is
how dee9gt said add Lt's to my flowmaster and I'll be disappointed..has me worried because this was the setup I wanted
It will be pretty loud. I think headers w/ flows sound awesome.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by got milk??
What he said
Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So it sounds like the cutout will give me less restriction.... but kill the sound of the flowmaster..? not that flowmaster is the best flowing or anything...but It sounds sooo damm good though...I'll lose a few horses before I'll lose any of that the sound quality
The cut out is a spot in the pipe that you can open up to let the exhaust out THERE instead of it going through the muffler. An electric cutout can be opened from inside the car with the flip of a switch instead of crawling under the car to remove the bolt holding the cover on.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking the mid-length pacesetter's to maybe control some of the TOO LOUD effect...might lose a couple horses butt I don't drive on the strip on my way to work
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Really....what was the noticeable shity difference??? instead of the raspy Y, how bout a flowmaster merge pipe?
The flows are really restrictive... and it sounded like a totally different car... with my borlas its a lot louder and deeper tone... pm me if you want to hear the sound clips of w/ the flows and w/ the borlas..